Registration Question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Registration Question

My grandfather recently gave a 357 to my father. It was purchased in 1974. Does my father need to register the weapon? I'm thinking yes.

I have CDO, its like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order the way they should be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Registration Question

I'm pretty sure that transfers between parents and children do not require registration.

Shut Up and Drill
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:08 PM

Your father doesn't have to do anything. The less paper trail a firearm has the better!

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:10 PM

There is no gun registration in PA. Some gun transfers must be approved via Criminal Background Check through the PSP. Transfers between grand parents and children or grand children or between spouse do not need to go through the PSP.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker
Your father doesn't have to do anything. The less paper trail a firearm has the better!
Plinker is correct, there is no requirements between grandparent/ parent/ child/ spouse...any other handgun transfers need to go thru a FFL and be recorded

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

so if my uncle gave my grandma a 38 special then she gave it to my mom and my mom gave it to me no transfer is required, correct?

For those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They will soar on wings as eagles..
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Steve, that's a good question.

Shut Up and Drill
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Although, technically Uncle Jimmy died, and Aunt Carol gave it to grandma (an inlaw) who gave it to mom who gave it to you. The question is, is a transfer required when Aunt Carol gave it to Grandma since they are mother-in-law/daughter-in-law.

Shut Up and Drill
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:39 PM

transfers are pretty inexpensive...25$ i believe?....its best to do it and not need to worry about it IMO...unless the gun is never leaving the house...if its going to be used or carried or taken anywhere, id get it done just to make life easy....if an officer ever runs it, it will come back to whoever actually currently owns it and theres no issue...

original owner could have a different last name than whoever is keeping it...that will raise an eyebrow if its ever ran and checked....

just my thoughts on it...i had mine transferred to me when i was 21 even though they were originally gifts from dad and legal without being transferred...i dont need pulled over 8 states away and have some troubles because my pistols came back to dad not me...
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I inherited my revolvers from my father. Both of them were purchased b/4 the current requirements so neither of them are in the PSP 'list' of purchased firearms. They won't show up if they are run.Of course one is 99yrs old and the other is over 70yrs old. If I would purchase a new handgun it would be in the 'list'...

Anyone moving into PA with a handgun purchased in a different state won't be in the 'list' either...

Why give them any info they don't need? The 'list' was found to be illegal by the Supream Court of PA as it is not a 'complete registry'...I wouldn't add one to it if it wasn't necessary.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page