28 gauge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

28 gauge

Looking to get a 28 gauge.......any suggestions as to which make and model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:23 AM

Re: 28 gauge

Stevens makes a nice over and under in 28 ga.it 's priced right ,and handles real nice.Got one for my daughter.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 AM
The Man

You have tons of options! Anything to some cheaper ones all the way up to the higher grade Beretta and Browning O/U shotguns. How much are you looking to spend on this project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mackgee to answer your question.......certainly not more than $1000, and maybe closer to 600-800.
Is that a sufficient amount to get a decent 28?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:59 AM
The Man

Oh my yes my friend, plenty to get what you're after. Let's see here, in the pump world you have two old standby's, the Remington Wingmaster and the Browning BPS. Both very reliable and fun to shoot in that gauge and both can be had for half of your maximum budget. Remington also makes an 1100 semi in that gauge. Many people have complained about the Remington semi-auto shotguns, but all that I've seen and shot work great. CZ makes them in both an over/under and a side-by-side if I remember correctly. Finally you can get into a nice little Ruger over/under shotgun for around that price too. Had one for a few years and absolutely loved it! Ultimately you just have to go out and see what fits you the best and what fits your style of hunting. Personally I'm hoping to gather enough pennies to get the new Benelli Legacy 28 gauge for next year to upland hunt with. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I love to hunt small game including pheasants with my 28ga.870 Remington Wingmaster. I like the Federal #5 shot for pheasants and rabbits. I'll use 7 1/2's for grouse.
Any of the guns already mentioned would be a good choice.
Find the one that fits best and have some fun.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have a Rem wingmaster and a o/u made in Italy (can't remember the maker) in 28 ga and love them both. I have shot dove, rabbit, grouse and pheasant with them both. Like said above find the gun that fits you the best. I also have a Browning BPS in 20 ga that I like and am hopefully going to get one in 28ga soon. Good luck, it is always a good time getting another gun
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 AM
The Man

mackgee, if you like benelli guns, you'll love that legacy! I was seriously contemplating buying one, or an ultralight in 20 gauge. One day I happened into the local gun store, and found what appeared to be a brand new UL, but in 12 gauge. It came with the box, all the chokes, blank warranty card etc, and was about 600 bux less than a new one. I couldn't pass it up, so it got a ride in my car, and my quest for a 28 was over. But hey, it's 2012 now, so I can resume that quest! If money was no option, I'd go with the benlli. My next choice would be one of the CZ guns, and then the wingmaster. The browning guns are nice, but they just don't fit me well.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The Browning BPS is a nice choice. I like the top tang safety and bottom eject. It's a nice ambidextrious gun. (Nice for me since I'm a lefty, but generally a smooth handling gun.)

I should also mention it has three choke tubes. (Full, modified and improved cylinder.)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Don,t forget the new Ithaca model 37 in 28 gauge.Downsized and beautiful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page