410 2 1/2 shell has more velocity then the 3 inch - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
The Man

410 2 1/2 shell has more velocity then the 3 inch

I use to work at Basspro in Harrisburg... I was stocking the shelves and notice that the 410 2 1/2 shells had more velocity then the 3 inch shell.. Now I like to hunt squirrel.. So I started thinking do I want to shoot the squirrel with larger shot. Let say # 4 shot and more velocity from the 2 1/2 shell or do I wawnt to use more shot like the 3 inch shells has and don't need the power???

Now it doesn't take much to kill a rabbit so maybe you want more shot so the 410 3 inch would be better for rabbit.. Now if you want to anchor squirrel higher up in a tree you might need more velocity and heavier shot to penetrate the squirrel tougher skin..
Just kind of made me think a bit thinking that the 2 1/2 410 shells are not as powerful as the 3 inch... As far as what the mfg posted on the carton. the 2 1/2 shell has more power.. I do understand that there are target loads to in the 2 1/2 that might not have more velocity then the 3 inch 410 shells.. Let say the Remington Express 2 1/2 has more velocity then the Remington Express 3 inch 410 shells..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:09 AM
The Man

Re: 410 2 1/2 shell has more velocity then the 3 inch

I also wondered the same with the rifled slugs in the 410.The Marlin lever s/gun in 410 can only take the 2.5" shells.I wondered how much less potent it would be in the 3" slugs.I would think that the slug is the same with less powder in the 2.5" version.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

To get the added velocity the 2 1/2" shells has a trade off of less pellets. I've used my .410 a lot for hunting squirrels and rabbits. Federal 3" #4 or #5 shot work best for me. The heavier shot keeps it's energy better down range. Like any other shotgun, you still need to find the load that your .410 patterns best.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
I also wondered the same with the rifled slugs in the 410.The Marlin lever s/gun in 410 can only take the 2.5" shells.I wondered how much less potent it would be in the 3" slugs.I would think that the slug is the same with less powder in the 2.5" version.

The 2.5" slugs are 1/5 oz. while the 3" slugs are 1/4oz. I'll take the 3" everytime whether we're talking shotshells or slugs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Part of the Community

Good post. I am wondering this myself. Is the 2.5 shell a better load because it has more velocity?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Sage

Have you checked out the home defense loads in .410 for the Judge pistol...how do they stack up....they cost a little more...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 12:08 AM

Most 2.5 shells will shoot a better pattern than the 3" shells.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
The Man

I do use the Winchester PDX ammo in my Bond Derringer 45LC barrels . I change the ammo around a bit depending on just where I'm going or what i'm doing ..The Win PDX round would be excellent for anti car jacking or just plain self defense that's for sure!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page