Hastings slug barrel for 870 Remington - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hastings slug barrel for 870 Remington

Anyone on this board use the Hastings slug barrel for deer hunting? Currently I use a Remington rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount and get pretty good accuracy for deer hunting. But I hear with a Hastings barrel, much greater accuracy is possible. Getting one of these replacement barrels looks like a good way to increase accuracy at longer ranges. Anyone here use these?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/102503/...zzle-brake-blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Hastings slug barrel for 870 Remington

1) Midway no longer carries Hastings barrels (has not for several years)
2) The ported barrel has also been discontinued (does not work well with every style sabot currently on the market)
3) The Hastings rifled barrel was the first on the market 25-30 yeas ago, hammer forged rifling, silver brazed scope mount, always had a good reputation. But you need to remember that the barrel is only one part of your slug shooting system, gun, barrel, scope, rings, ammo all have to be working together. Do not use a lead sled and make sure all parts are tight, Remington sabots are not recommended through Hastings barrels.
http://www.hastingsbarrels.com/

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Part of the Community

I have one on my 870 shoots lightfield slugs real well.Put a good scope on it as it will rock it hard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 AM
PHA
Frequent Contributor

I had a Hastings barrels for a Rem 1100 and it wasn't worth a darn. I put a Remington 23 inch Super Slug barrel on an 870 and it shot very well especially with Buckhammers.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 01:01 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I have a Hastings Paradox on my 870 and it shoots GREAT. I do shoot Remington Copper Solids, as they USED to say the right coded slugs (post 1999 slugs) were fine. It looks as though another company bought Hastings and now says NO Remington slugs are ok.

So far, no problems.

I just shot it recently. Shot one shot, pin-wheeled the 3" dot at 100 yards, took the barrel off to shoot the smooth barrel, then put the Hastings back on and shot again. Center to center, to two shots measured 7/8". I have a group saved from it where it printed a perfect overlapping cloverleaf with 3 shots at 100 yards.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 AM

just leave the remington barrel on gun buy a leupold 3x9 and shoot lightfield or buck hammers. that will do the trick.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 AM

My buddy has a Hasting Slug Barrel on his 879 Remington and he is unhappy with the performance.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I read an article on Field and Stream about competition slug matches and they made a big deal about Hastings barrels. Maybe that was just your usual hunting mag hype! I have been using Brenneke Classic Magnum slugs which are designed for both smooth and rifled barrels. I want to get better accuracy and range, so I am thinking about going with the Gold Magnum slug. It is designed for rifled barrels only. I liked the performance of Remington Buckhammers and used them a few years ago. But I don't need that much recoil. I use a 2x7 Leupold muzzleloader scope on my cantilevered mount Rem slug barrel. We'll see what it will do.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Part of the Community

If my memory is correct, Hastings closed down and their inventory was sold off earlier this year. The new owner of the name is making the barrels in France, so there may be a difference between the old and new.

That said, I have an older Hastings barrel (not slug, though) on my LH 870 and it's been fine - a very good option to get a barrel fit for choke tubes instead of dealing with the typical 30" full choke that came with so many 870's.

Find the time.....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 12:04 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpashunt
If my memory is correct, Hastings closed down and their inventory was sold off earlier this year. The new owner of the name is making the barrels in France, so there may be a difference between the old and new.

That said, I have an older Hastings barrel (not slug, though) on my LH 870 and it's been fine - a very good option to get a barrel fit for choke tubes instead of dealing with the typical 30" full choke that came with so many 870's.
The old importer in KS closed his doors 2 years ago, all Hastings barrels have always been made by Verney-Carron in France. No difference, same mfg, same machinery.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
NRA Life
SCI Life
DSC Life

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in