QUESTION - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

QUESTION

I AM LOOKING INTO BUYING A NEW SHOT GUN FOR TURKEY AND FOR FOX HUNTING. ALL OF MY SHOTS ARE GOING TO BE UNDER 50 YARDS. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE MOSSBERG 535 TACTICAL BC OF BEING ABLE TO SHOOT 3.5 IN SHELLS OUT OF IT. THE GUN HAS A 20 IN BARREL ON IT.

I HAVE HEARD FROM OLD GUYS THAT THE BARREL IS TO SHORT AND WILL NOT HOLD A PATTERN. I HAVE LOOKED ON THE INTERNET AND FOUND THAT IT DONT MATTER THE LENGTH IT MATTERS ON THE CHOKE.

WHAT ONE IS RIGHT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 PM

Re: QUESTION

100 percent in the choke.modern powder ,wads, shot, etc. is the best it has ever been, i have shotguns that have 21, 24, 28, and 30 inch pipes, does not matter when we are talking turkey, by the best choke and it will pattern, jellyhead by primos, and the best one i have found by far is brileys strieght rifling choke, price for that choke is around $60 to $85 bucks well worth it.find what choke works best in your set up and shot a few different shot sizes, and buy federals, remington, winchester, and go to range fire all from 20 to 50 yards and you will have the best your gun can do, good luck
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Sage

Long barreled shotguns are a throw back to black powder and the reason was to try and make sure all the powder burned in the barrels. With todays modern ammo with cup wads and fast burning smokless powder, a shorter barrel will give great performance. Longer barrels are still a plus for clay bird shooting because it makes the gun swing easier.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You really dont need 3.5 inch shells in it for turkey..BUT if you use the brand Hevishot you can get greater range..Barrel length really does not matter much anymore...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

THANKS THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING TO NOW OLDER GUNS I CAN SEE BC ALOT OF THEM DIDNT HAVE THE CHANGEABLE CHOKES. SO A LONGER BARREL DONT HOLD A PATTERN TIGHTER AT SAY 40 YARDS THAN A SHORT ONE?

I KNOW YOU DONT NEED 3.5 TO KILL A TURKEY I SHOT ONE YEARS AGO WITH A LOW BRASS 2 3/4 AND KILLED IT BUT FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON A MOSSBERG 500 IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE 535
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Take a look at the 835's as well. IMO they are the best patterning guns out there with their overbored barrels. I have an 835 and a Benelli SBE 2, both with 24" barrels.

Never Misses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page