Shortening a T/C pistol barrel? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shortening a T/C pistol barrel?

I have a 15" T/C Encore barrel in 7mm-08 and would like to take like 2" or so off it to save weight. It is so front heavy! How much will this effect accuracy? Probably never shoot it over 100-125yds.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 08:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shortening a T/C pistol barrel?

I had a 10" 308 bbl in an Encore..it shot 1 1/2 " groups at 100 yd, Doc in Pa.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 08:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster17025
I have a 15" T/C Encore barrel in 7mm-08 and would like to take like 2" or so off it to save weight. It is so front heavy! How much will this effect accuracy? Probably never shoot it over 100-125yds.
Thanks!
First off, the Encore with a 15" barrel isn't exactly a gun to be shooting at deer off-hand unless the deer are a whole lot closer than 100-125 yards. They are a get ready and get a rest gun, not a dirty harry, shoot unsupported kind of gun. They weigh 4 1/4 pounds with the 15" pipe on them so 2" off the end of the barrel isn't going to add up to a whole lot of weight difference and they do not lend them selves to very good accuracy free hand unless you have some serious experience with them. When you do have a rest (as you SHOULD), that 15" barrel is a god send with its longer sight plain, more weight-forward balance and more efficient powder burn and thus higher velocities. If you want a shorter barrel, why not just purchase a shorter barrel? If you have a sight or optics of some kind on it, it's going to be even harder to shoot freehand in the first place (assuming that's what you're trying to do with it).

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
COR
Part of the Community

Mine is 10" and it is a vast improvement over the longer ones for my tastes. Mine can outshoot me and believe it or not the short length does lend itself to offhand possibilities but a rest is of course preferred. With a 2x or a quality red dot you are the only weak link in that equation as the set up is very reliable. I use a 120gr with a case full of powder and that 7mm08 is deer and bear medicine in a sweet packable kit, no long barrels for me anymore unless it's a carbine, you'll love the decreased length and any competent gunsmith can do the cut/crown with ease.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page