piver johnson s.s. ?'s - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

piver johnson s.s. ?'s

ok heres the story (kinda cool) my pap had an iver johnson single shot, that years ago he tore apart to redo, had the guns for years. My mother and her sisters were fighting over the stock rod, pap frustraded threw it in tha garbage so they wouldnt fight over it. (not knowing what he had done till it was to late) for years when we would sit down and have our converstations about his guns and the things he shot. he allways regretted never being able to finish the shotgun. so once i got into collage and had a little extra money from working full time. i snuck the gun (in peices) out of the house took it to the local gun smith and he managed to get all orginal parts for it to put it back together. I gave it to him for christmas the look on his face made the $100 well worth it. (he was baffled and excited) ha he couldnt understand why i had baught him a new shotgun. (at this point in time he didnt hunt anymore) when i told him it was his old gun just ressurected. i left him speachless. shortly after that we lost him to broncitous and lung cancer. so i recieved the gun from my grandmother. after bringing it home and looking down the barrel, my heart sank. it appeared to me the barrel had a 8-10" crack in it. oh well, it was all for the memory. well tonight 6 years later i decided to clean it, ha it was just a lead streak, the gun is fine.

so my question is, all i can read on the barrel (make out the stamping is barely visible) is xx guage, choke bore, barrel and lung forged in one. (i know it is a 12 guage) can anyone give me any info on these guns. i only plan on shooting light multi-use loads out of it. btu honestly i dont kwow anything about the iver johnson guns. i would app. any info thanks

i'm planning on taking it out tomorrow morning, will be the first time since my pap last took it out.

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Part of the Community

Re: piver johnson s.s. ?'s

your IVER JOHNSON were made between 1909 and 1956 it was called the CHAMPION the also made hand guns and rifles
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You don't have to baby it, it will shoot any 12 gauge shell of the proper length without issue. They were standard fair for alot of farmers and frugal men who viewed guns as a tool, like a hammer or shovel. I would guess they put countless millions of small game meals on the table, and my Pap used his 16 gauge Hercules ( same lines as an Iver, but from Montgomery Wards) for deer as well. Treasure it !

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 03:15 PM

My Champion is still my favorite shotgun. I have a 1952 Stogers that lists all the option. My 12 ga has a 32 inch full choke. Mine also has two round silver inlays in the forearm. Not sure if they are stock or added later.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 09:46 PM

From the 1952 Stoeger's:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

hey guys, thanks for all the info. I got to take it out thanksgiving, though i didnt get to shoot at anything. carrying that old gun, and remembering what it had ment to pap, just made the hunt so special to me. ha you couldnt wipe the smile off my face with a car buffer. no doubt i will be making it an annual thing.

Greed leads to stupidity, and stupidy leads to complete and total failure. ~G. Bish
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:34 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton_Boy13
hey guys, thanks for all the info. I got to take it out thanksgiving, though i didnt get to shoot at anything. carrying that old gun, and remembering what it had ment to pap, just made the hunt so special to me. ha you couldnt wipe the smile off my face with a car buffer. no doubt i will be making it an annual thing.

2F for a while...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page