Mossberg 500 rifled barrel problem? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Mossberg 500 rifled barrel problem?

Friend of mine recently picked up a field deer combo and we tried to sight in the rifled barrel today with a variety of sabots to get a feel for it. He decided he wants to shoot the Winchester's so he went and picked up a few boxes more boxes and we went to work sighting it in.

He's got the barrel with iron sights. Horizontally he's right where he's supposed to be. Vertically he started out about 12" high we adjusting the sights and now he's 4" high, problem is we can't adjust the vertical any more because there is nothing on the sight screw to hold onto, it's that far back.

Is there anything he can do to change this? Could it be a defect or is he really shooting that high and there isn't enough adjustment available? I'm wondering if his sight picture is incorrect. He says it's correct and without seeing through his eyes I'm not sure. He is shooting very tight groups that are touching at 50 yards.

He could get a scope but the barrel isn't cantilevered so he'd have to take off the scope to use the field barrel or buy a second barrel with a cantilevered end.

I supposed he could adjust for his particular shot and leave it alone as well. It was an expensive day and I'd like to get him squared away as quick as possible

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 PM

Re: Mossberg 500 rifled barrel problem?

did you shoot it and what do your groups look like?

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

I shot it but not that much. My shots were high but not as high as his were.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Sage

He could have a gun smith put a higher front sight blade or post on the gun.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

Don't narrow the selection to one brand! Try other manufacturer's and you may find better results! My Mossberg loves the Lightfields!
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatpoll
Don't narrow the selection to one brand! Try other manufacturer's and you may find better results! My Mossberg loves the Lightfields!
He was shooting lightfields in a good group as well, they were also high. I shoot Hornady and they were even higher than all the others.

I told him to look into some other types of ammunition as well.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage

If he is shooting that high with various ammos he needs to address the sight problem not the ammo. If the rear sight has no more adjustment he needs to deal wth the front sight. I don't know if it is possible but perhaps a longer screw in the rear sight would allow him to raise if enough to solve the problem.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Part of the Community

I am shooting a rifled Mossberg 12 Ga Mod 500 this year for the first time. I have found the exact same situation. I am 4 to 8 inches high at 50 yds depending on the ammo. Gonna shoot it tomorrow at 100 yds and see where it is. I agrees with John S. When the rear sight cannot correct the problem the next choice is the front sight.... Not an easy fix.

NRA Member
Former USMC - Vietnam
Retired Army - Desert Storm
Renewing hunting knowledge
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
If he is shooting that high with various ammos he needs to address the sight problem not the ammo. If the rear sight has no more adjustment he needs to deal wth the front sight. I don't know if it is possible but perhaps a longer screw in the rear sight would allow him to raise if enough to solve the problem.
Thanks I'll let him know to have someone look at it.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 PM
Sage

I just re read you op and I missed something the first time I read it.. If I am reading correctly you raised the rear sight as far as you could and the gun is shooting high. The rear sight should be moved in the direction you want the gun to shoot so if your friends gun is shooting high you should lower the rear sight, not raise it. Since the sight is now all the way elevated you should lower it until your point of impact is where you want it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page