44 magnum - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

44 magnum

Just picked up a ruger SA 44 mag. Wonderin what kinds of shells anybody has used with good results from a .44 mag for deer?? What kinda distances most of u are comfortable shooting from(in general)? And any other good tips for big bore handgun hunting. Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 11:33 PM

Re: 44 magnum

"cheap" blazer aluminum 44mags to hand loaded hot 44's will do the trick. My furthest harvest has been 65 yards open sights.

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 04:36 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

This cal will do 100 yards easy with a scope. Unless you practice without a scope.

do the homework before the hunt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I only handload/reload, so I can't recommend any specific factory loads. However, being that I use the Hornady 240gr XTP's, I would venture their factory loadings would be excellent.

My Ruger SRH with a scope, is sighted dead on at 100 yards. I would feel very comfortable taking a deer out to 100 yards. My last deer was taken at about 75 yards.

To be a handgun hunter you need practice...........practice and more practice. If you've never hunted with a handgun or never fired something like a .44 Magnum, you need practice to learn how to handle both.

Steve
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:29 PM

I have gone through 3 .44 Mags and every one seemed to like the 240 grain hornady XTP with a rather stout charge of H-110 and a Mag primer.

As Steve in Pa said, it takes a heck of alot of range time to become proficient with a hunting handgun. I have fired many thousands of rounds over the past 32 years. I consider myself a "good" shot. I can hold a 6" group at 100 yards with my Taurus Raging Bull in .454 Casull firing offhand. I will not shoot at a deer over 50 yards without some kind of a rest.

The .44 Magnum is one of the best if not THE best handgun caliber for deer sized game. Just find your comfort level as far as distance is concerned.....Heck, Elmer Keith killed a muley at 600 yards with a .44 Mag handgun but I wouldn't even think about it.

All guns are different though. I would normally buy a box of Remington, box of Federal, box of Winchester, box of some other brand in the grain weight that I wanted...240 grain in the .44 Mag. See which one shoots the best and then try to find a load that shoots the same as far as velocity, bullet drop, accuracy, etc.

Then I will also find out which brass manufacturer wins out. But sometimes...............You cannot improve on the factory loads. Go with it.

Handloading drives me nuts.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotik
Heck, Elmer Keith killed a muley at 600 yards with a .44 Mag handgun but I wouldn't even think about it.
Elmer was my hero until I read the article where he said that. Even as a young kid I knew that was streching the truth and I began to doubt some of his other claims.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 06:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Every deer I've taken with a hand, except one, was taken using a rest. Either sitting with my forearms resting on my knees, or using a shooting stick. The one deer was taken off-hand at about 50 yards.

Steve
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 09:03 PM
COR
Part of the Community

You'd be better suited to take a rifle this year, that's kinda harsh but in truth you probably aren't ready. I know you didn't ask that but my opinion is that if you strap that sixgun on you need to be safe and proficient. You don't even have a load to use yet so you need to be honest with yourself about your capability against actual game....now remember that all that and 4 bucks gets you a latte...to answer your question I'd use these
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/163181/...point-box-of-20
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/277490/...point-box-of-20
bot are very close in numbers o my handloaded XTP loads, the 200gr is a nice deer bullet too although I use 240's.

Good luck and welcome to handgun hunting.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for all the info, got some different ideas to mull over, and see what kinda ammo to try out. Ive always used Remington ammo for everything else(rifle,shotgun,.22 pistol) but i think i will try several other brands esp. the Hornady. I appreciate your honesty COR, i had planned on the rifle again, but was anxious to get out the .44 and see what she'll do at the range. (just like a kid with a new toy on xmas morning) I do think the toughest part is gonna be using a scope. Im used to open sights on handguns in general but its a great scope and it does seem like it will be a great asset. The first time i shot it I had all the shots on the "pie plate" at 35 yds, so i wasnt too disappointed. But i know the gun and I are BOTH capable of much better. Again thanks for all the help everybody!!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The factory loads from Hornady is my thoughts to use if your going to use factory shells. I reload all the time, so I use 240 to 320 gr tips in my Ruger or S&W mags. I actually lean towards my lead heavier tips in the S&W and use the 240 XTR or 265 in my Ruger.
I've reloaded 44 mag shells since the mid 70's and have lots of practice but you must stay with the practice to stay proficient. My Ruger has a scope but I prefer open sights on the S&W.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page