6.8 SPC Contender - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

6.8 SPC Contender

For those who have this combination, what brand of ammo do you recommend? I purchased two boxes (40 rounds total) of Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded. So far I have only used this ammo for sighting in and target shooting as I would never trust it in a hunting situation. I had several misfires and someone suggested that if I had a hammer spur installed that it might be the culprit. Well, I removed the spur and bought new scope mounts to raise the scope higher so I could cock the hammer without a spur. This did not solve my problem. Out of 30 shots fired I have had 16 misfires. That's more than 50% and totally unacceptable. I also have a .223 barrel and a .410/.45 Long Colt barrel and have never experienced a single misfire with any of the ammo I have used in those barrels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:35 PM

Re: 6.8 SPC Contender

Sound like you got 2 boxes of crap.Take some pics of them with dents in the primer and e-mail them to Remington and demand a refund.

NOTE TO VEGETARIANS: My food poops on your food! Enjoy your salad!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I was looking at Silver State's website and noticed that they will use commercial primers instead of military spec primers if you specify that you will be using their 6.8 SPC ammo in a T/C firearm. Hmmmm.
Oh yeah, and it's about half the price of what I paid for the Remington stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:54 PM

sounds like a headspace problem to me...google up Bellm TC's and read adjusting headspace on your contender. Not a difficult task to do with a few tools.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

If that were the problem why am I not having the same problem with any of the other barrels/loads used on this same frame?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 06:05 PM

It's not the frame's fault...it's the barrel, or more importantly, how the barrel is fit to the frame. It needs to be adjusted so your shells fit correctly and your firing pin hits the primer hard enough to go "bang". It also might not be "locked up" properly.

You can spend an hour reading all the info on the bellm site....it's NOT the ammo.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=188

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=163&
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM

WOW! I have the exact same problem.I'v tried both Hornady and Silver State ammo.I first change locking bolt and spring and thought that was it,but still had same missfire problem.I'v tried three different frames and it seems to hit primer real hard but still not going off consistently I gave up and sent frame and barrel to T/C will see what they say in a couple weeks.First question asked from T/C was did it have a hammer extension, but it never did.The more I read seems like headspace issue to me,but I just don't know I gave up.

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Well it seems obvious that due to the design of the gun and this particular cartridge (6.8 SPC) everything has to be just about perfect. My barrel came from TC and not some aftermarket outfit. Not saying they don't make mistakes but I would be more suspicious of the fit of the barrel if it came from someone else. I still wonder about the fact that this is really a military round and most ammo might be made with the assumption that it will be used in military type firearms, not a break action like the Contender. Why else would Silver State ask the question and state that they will use what I assume are better grade primers if they know you are going to be shooting this ammo in a TC?

Outdrnut, did you specify what type of gun you would be using this ammo in when you purchased it from Silver State?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Come to think of it, I did have misfire problems with my .223 barrel when I tried military surplus ammo but never had a problem with the Remington stuff in the .223. I am starting to think it could be a combination of poor barrel fit and cheap primers.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 08:13 PM

PM sent

“If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.”

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page