• 2 Post By Dogface
  • 1 Post By BHC
  • 1 Post By jeffppc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
BHC
Part of the Community

20ga. 3" Accutips vs Expanders

For years I have shot the Accutips with great accuracy, and truefully no issue on game......But also being a fan of the Barnes that I have been using in my muzzleloaders for over 20 years, I was excited to try the new Remington Barnes since they came down in price inline with other slugs......Honestly I didn't know what to expect, I honestly didn't think they would group as well as the Accutips. So last week I went to the range.....Without making any type of adjustments I took two shots off a steady rest at 100 yards, both cloverleaf 1" to the right.....I was impressed, so I decided to make the adjustment....4 clicks to the left.....first shot went high, I twitched......Next three shots 2" above center.....this was with the Savage 220......Next up was the 1187, very similar results and adjustments. I will go back one more time in the giving weeks to see if I get the same results.

The Barnes are known for devastating performance on game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg remington-accutips-3-5cdfd5.jpg (518.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg savage-220-remington.jpg (579.1 KB, 2 views)
Dogface likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:30 AM
Part of the Community

In my SAVAGE 220 Expanders shoot better at 100 yds than Accutips do at 50 yds. Have killed 5 big Mich. bucks with the Expanders from 60 to 200 yds, work just fine. I would love to recover one but even with a hit right on the point of the shoulder they always exit the other side. Big hole in, bigger hole out.
Dogface, Uncle Johnny and BHC like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Switching over to Barnes myself
BHC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 04:41 PM
Part of the Community

I don't know about the new Rem Expanders but the originaal Federal Barnes Expanders were a bit slower than Accutips. If you currently use Accutips and Rem was smart enough to copy their ballistics you will need to learn the drop of the Expanders. I happily can say I rounded up a lifetime supply of the original Federal Barnes expanders.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Frequent Contributor

Those groupings are really impressive! First, BHC, nice shooting!

Ive only used the 3" Rem Accutips in my 220, with comparable results, but those Barnes very interesting. Ive had technical bullet failure in the form of inconsistant expansion on large deer @ 65, and 125yds, (rangfinder), but recovered both of those, and several others a short distance from where they stood, or in their tracks. With the reputation of the Barnes bullets, and that picture you posted it appears there is something new and improved to try out.

Thank you for sharing, Im sure others will be raising an eyebrow as well.
BHC and hunterdan199 like this.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:47 PM
The Man

I used the Federal rounds with the Barnes bullet. They were just as accurate as the Accu-tips in my 220. I'm looking forward to trying some of the Remington rounds.
BHC and flintlock hunter like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffppc View Post
In my SAVAGE 220 Expanders shoot better at 100 yds than Accutips do at 50 yds. Have killed 5 big Mich. bucks with the Expanders from 60 to 200 yds, work just fine. I would love to recover one but even with a hit right on the point of the shoulder they always exit the other side. Big hole in, bigger hole out.
Jeffppc, how is the knock-down power with the Expanders? I've been looking to switch to something with 'drop em in their tracks' quality.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
BHC
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Johnny View Post
Jeffppc, how is the knock-down power with the Expanders? I've been looking to switch to something with 'drop em in their tracks' quality.
Uncle Johnny, I have been using the Barnes in my muzzleloaders for over 20 years, devastating on all the game I shot !!!! From my understanding the Barnes Expanders that Remington is using are the T-EZ and been using them for the last 8 years or so, what gets hit goes down fast
Uncle Johnny likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Part of the Community

Uncle Johnny, not sure how to answer other than read what I stated. Try them, you will like them.
BHC likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page