The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Wife Wants a 12G

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  flintlock hunter 
#1 ·
My wife has a 20 gauge and would like to get a 12 gauge. Her 20 is a compact model because it fits her better. Shooting clays this weekend she tried my Benelli M1, and besides the LOP being too long, she did not like the kick at all. So I’m looking at gassers and I’ve been doing some reading and it looks like the Remington V3 is supposed to be the softest shooter and the Beretta A300 is supposed to be fairly soft as well and has an adjustable LOP. Any input about these and any other models I should consider would be appreciated. Also, let me know if anyone knows of any place that offers demo guns. I know some of the clays courses have loaners, but they don’t list the make or models, so I will give them a call.

#2 ·
If she didn't like the recoil from the M1 she is probably not going to like the recoil from any 12.

A better option may be trying a lite 1 ounce target load in the M1.

#3 ·
I bought my 13 yo son a compact Franchi affinity in 20gs and 12 ga.They're very light guns so I had a guy fit a kick eez pad on both guns. They're light,recoil operated semis but with a good pad,he doesn't complain.He actually shoots nothing but 3" mags out of the 20ga when hunting.

#14 ·
Hey Settingduck! My wife, Elaine, is a smaller woman only 5'4" tall, and had a Mossberg 500 20 ga that I cut the stock down to fit her. We lived in Jersey at the time and like your wife, a 12 ga was in her future.

My Dad had stopped hunting, and I inherited his Remington 1100 12 ga, which Elaine wanted to try. Warned her it probably wouldn't fit her, but......well she picked it up and LOVED it! She hit everything she pointed it at, squirrels, rabbit, deer, geese, anything!

I have no explaination, but, who knows, your wife may find an 1100 the ideal shotgun as well. Hope this helped

Reactions: JoeD
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.