Tri-Star Hunter or Savage/Stevens 555. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Tri-Star Hunter or Savage/Stevens 555.

I haven,t compared em together in my hands yet.But was wondering which ones you prefer or dislike over the other.I am interested in the O/U 16 ga in both.One dealer says he don,t like Tri-Star but I,ve never heard bad about em.I don,t want to order one until I can compare the two and get feedback on both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:03 PM

Why is a 16 ga. your preference...
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:41 PM

I have had a new Stevens U/O 20 for at least 5 years and never shot it......yet....

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonM View Post
Why is a 16 ga. your preference...
Because i grew up with my Dad,s Ithaca 37 16 and love it.A great gage and those are the only two that I know of that make em in a O/U. I,d love to hear from you all that have experience in these 2 in any gauge.The specs are just about equal but nuthin beats the info that a owner can give.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 08:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I bought a Tri-Star to take a break from using the flintlock smoothbore for rabbit hunting about 10-12 years ago. O/U .410. it was one of the early models and there were updates to the firing pin mechanism after that. I had a terrible time with it and sent it back 3 times. the last time they updated it to the new designed spring return firing pins. it still wasn't reliable so I sold it. I loved the gun. it was nice wood and great workmanship, screw in chokes, light, just a beautiful gun. I would have liked to give it to my grandson, but just could not depend on it.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 PM

I've been very pleased with the Tristar semi-auto's, but I wasn't nearly as impressed with the O/U. I've handled a newer Tristar Setter in 20ga and the Stevens in 12ga, and while they both felt a little chintzy, I felt the Stevens was the better of the two. If you have the means, I'd sooner track down a Browning Citori, but you'd probably get respectable service out of the Stevens.

I will throw out the disclaimer that when I shot the aforementioned Setter, I swapped my BIL my Citori for his Setter for a few rounds of sporting clays, and they're apples and oranges as far as overall fit and quality. I may have liked the Setter more had I started the day shooting it.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 09:34 PM

I had a Tristar 28ga O/U some years ago. A total piece of junk. Would only fire 50% of the time the trigger was pulled. Had it worked on by a gunsmith and then it fired probably 80% of the time. I got rid of it after that.

I never shot the Stevens, but I've soured on cheap O/U's. They're mostly all made in Turkey despite the brand. It's a gamble on whether the individual gun will work or not.
Dogface and bad primer like this.

Last edited by Marcus99; 03-24-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
The Man

These are exactly the comments I was hopin for.

I checked the Brownings site JM and the only ones in 16 they have are over 2 grand limited production models.Not only to expensive for me but they would probably be about impossible to get.

They got a sweet 16 which is a semi.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy View Post
These are exactly the comments I was hopin for.

I checked the Brownings site JM and the only ones in 16 they have are over 2 grand limited production models.Not only to expensive for me but they would probably be about impossible to get.

They got a sweet 16 which is a semi.
I got my 16ga Citori used for considerably less than $2k off of Penn's Woods Classifieds. Keep an eye there and on Gunbroker and a good used model, Browning or otherwise, may surface.

The newer Sweet Sixteen is indeed sweet, if you felt like giving the semi-auto a try over the O/U. I handled one just this weekend and doggone near bought it. They can be had new for about $1400, a few hundred less on the used market.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:43 PM

I know cost is a factor for many hunters & shooters. if you get the chance to use and compare the inexpensive guns to a

Browning,Beretta,etc, I am sure you will notice the difference in weight,balance & handling.

I went through the same issue in my younger days & wish I had waited, saved my money for a good gun rather than waste my money on the

4 or 5 cheap ones I went through............
Marcus99 likes this.

NRA life member
DU member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page