The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Handgun season

4K views 44 replies 23 participants last post by  bohunr 
#1 ·
Do you think Pennsylvania would ever entertain a handgun season?

I currently hunt all deer seasons and hunt some with an in-line handgun to get more handgun hunting in. I haven’t purchased a flintlock handgun. That is one possible option as well. My preference would be to use my 44 mag.

#6 ·
Well, I'm with gf44mag, at least in spirit. I've been fond of telling people that, IMHO, hunting with an iron sighted revolver is every bit as challenging as hunting with a bow, and a heck of allot more challenging than hunting with a XBow. Especially, if like me, you do it DAO. So, I'd love us to get the respect of our own season.

I also think we get hosed on special regs too. An inline shooting a sabbot'ed 240 grain bullet at between 2200-2400 fps is way more powerful than my 4 inch 44 mag shooting the same bullet 1300 fps - but low and behold, my revolver is not allowed. That is just plain STUPID.

BUT logistically, IDK where they would fit it as well. Now, if we really want to stir it up, dare I propose that they should allow revolver (yes, I'm a revolver snob...so none of those honking single shots or bolt action "handguns" allowed!) season to run along side Archery!! I say YES!!!!! >:)

#29 ·
Tough to compare with Pa I think. The killed about 14,000 deer in Delaware last season. That's all the seasons put together. I doubt very many hunters participate in the handgun season in Delaware.

#11 ·
i suggested the handgun season on another forum as a way for the PGC to bring in money that they are always saying the need. i know that handguns can be used in regular deer season, but like archery its usually a short range thing. there could be limitations such as open sights or does only with a doe tag. as another post stated it could be held before the regular deer season or during the flintlock season. as i said this was only a suggestion to increase more opportunities for hunting.

#12 ·
I would love to see a handgun season. Have it run concurrent with the last couple weeks of archery maybe. Why not? It would generate more revenue if they sell a separate tag for the season. I would buy it. I have absolutely no interest in archery or muzzleloaders but would like more of an opportunity to hunt deer. It’s not like more deer will be shot. When you tag out you are done no matter what you use. I realize there is an advantage when it comes to range when comparing a handgun to archery but certainly not to an inline.

#13 ·
I think they should allow it in the early muzzleloader season. Sure it's not a single shot proposition like a inline but range is likely no more than say a crossbow. It would be a good way to sell some tags and allow those who don't use archery or muzzleloader equipment a week of hunting.

#15 ·
Don't need another "special" season with more rules and reg.Think we have enough.Use the handguns in the reg rifle season.We will hear down the road why we don't let rifles in the handgun season when the rifle calibers are the same as the handgun calibers.
Be happy and content with what we have!

#25 ·
!Steve, I agree with you 100 %. I have killed a half dozen bucks with a .357 out to 125 yds. All one shot kills. I lost one close to 50 yrs ago with a bullet that did not expand, old time no technology. We found it next evening looked like it was shot with a field point, went about three qtrs of a mile. All the rest shot with good expanding Sierra Hollow Cavity, most dropped with in 1 or 2 jumps. Leave your rifle at home. I like a red dot or I have 1x Burris with a 6 inch dot that is great in the woods. I feel the same way about in line muzzle loaders. At the range most PA deer are shot the are as efficient as a regular rifle. Often have wondered how much the muzzle loader companies spent influencing that legislation.

#20 ·
with the bow season and flintlock season being six weeks long why not allow the handgun hunters to hunt for a week in each of those seasons? possibly at the end of those seasons. this would give the PGC some extra funding and still let the handgun hunters have a season to hunt in without having the deer running through the woods at top speed. this would give some hunters a chance to harvest a doe with unfilled tags. this might be a way to control CWD in the state.

#21 ·
That is an interesting proposal.

As I said before, I’ve been a dedicated handgun hunter for the last 20+ years. It takes a bit of dedication and determination to hunt with a handgun. In other words, it’s not easy. But I don’t feel handicapped by deer running at top speed through the woods.

Then the question arises, do you limit the type of handguns that can be used? Handguns with iron sights are generally thought of as short range; 50 yards or less (skill level can add to that). This puts them on par with archers and muzzleloader sure.

Whereas my scoped handguns can do 100-200 yards with no problems, provided I can do my part! I can hear the archers and muzzleloaders complaining!

I know some states that have a handgun season limit the handguns to straight walled cartridges; .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Long Colt, etc.

#41 ·
If they did a handgun season they could limit it to revolvers without magnified sights. A contender with a scope and 14 inch barrel isn't something I would allow. Obviously they wouldn't want to allow semi autos to eliminate people using 9mms. I don't see what a handgun would hurt in early season muzzleloader. Does only type of hunt. They wouldn't sell many license but even if they got 20k at 20 dollars apiece that's 400k, with no negative impact on the current seasons

#23 ·
Do you think Pennsylvania would ever entertain a handgun season?

I currently hunt all deer seasons and hunt some with an in-line handgun to get more handgun hunting in. I haven’t purchased a flintlock handgun. That is one possible option as well. My preference would be to use my 44 mag.
I certainly hope not! how many specialized seasons will it take to satisfy all hunters. You can use your hand gun in any season that a shotgun or rifle is legal.
I fully agree, all these specialized seasons are just too complicated so we should simplify it and make everything outside the two week firearms season a primitive weapons season. That way long bow, recurve, compound, crossbow, inline, flintlock, breach and muzzleloading cap lock, big bore single shots, handgun and even atlatl hunters all get a nice long season to hunt in and everybody wins.

#28 ·
If you don't like archery season then you've never hunted bucks during the peak rut. Once you have hunted the peak rut you know how well a grunt call works and (get lucky) to watch a few buck fights up close and personal......it will\could change your outlook.

FWIW

#32 ·
It’s not the season I have a problem with, I would love to be out hunting bucks during the rut. It’s the equipment, specifically the velocity of the arrows that I have a problem with. The deer where I hunt are very spooky, after numerous deer ducking my arrows including a doe at 25 yards I hung it up.

I no longer trusted that my equipment would put the arrow where I intended and figured I should quit while I was ahead, before one was a little too slow and ended up gut shot and unrecovered. The switch to buck only for the opening of rifle season was the final nail in the coffin as the primary reason I bow hunted was for the chance at a buck.

#35 ·
one of my main complaints with the two weeks of buck season was the amount of time allowed to hunt while i was still working. if i could get off the first day, i was lucky, and usually could hunt the next two saturdays. i dont hunt with a bow or muzzleloader yet both of these seasons have the longest amount of days to hunt. maybe if those of us that would like to see a handgun season approached the PGC we could maybe convince them there is enough interest in handgun hunting, they might look into it. i notice that when someone suggests something different a lot of people get really defensive if it doesnt suit their interests. a handgun season could benefit all of us whereas more handguns would be bought, PGC would get more funds, and more money from the sale of the handguns under the pittman-roberts bill.

#36 ·
I've been hunting with a handgun for 25 years and never saw a need for a separate season. I plan on hunting with my handgun for doe at the end of the week in the any weapon senior hunt. And again during the two week rifle season. That gives me 16 days of handgun hunting to choose from. Life is good enjoy what you have.

#37 ·
I've got my hunting vacation all set. I'll be off for the entire week of bear gun season and the two weeks of gun deer season. I have two of my three handguns all ready to go; scoped 14" T/C Contender in .44 Magnum and 14" T/C Contender in 7-30 Waters. I need to sight in me short range handgun; 7.5" Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. I put a Burris Fastfire 3 back in it, so it needs to be sighted in.

I haven't hunted with a rifle in a long, long time. I don't see where a separate handgun hunting season would fit into scheme of things. Allow them to be used for early antlerless season? If guys are hunting deer and bear with muzzleloaders......well, I can see some unscrupulous people using the handguns to their advantage during that season.

#42 ·
Why only revolvers? Revolvers come can be had with 8, 10, 12+ plus barrels. So, I could hunt with oh, say a 12" Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum, but my 14" T/C Contender with a 12-14" barrel would not be allowed? Based on what?

And early muzzleloaders and crossbow hunters can use a magnified optic, but the handgun hunter would not be allowed to use one? Again, based on what?

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.