Handgun season - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 11:45 AM

i suggested the handgun season on another forum as a way for the PGC to bring in money that they are always saying the need. i know that handguns can be used in regular deer season, but like archery its usually a short range thing. there could be limitations such as open sights or does only with a doe tag. as another post stated it could be held before the regular deer season or during the flintlock season. as i said this was only a suggestion to increase more opportunities for hunting.
gf44mag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Regular Visitor

I would love to see a handgun season. Have it run concurrent with the last couple weeks of archery maybe. Why not? It would generate more revenue if they sell a separate tag for the season. I would buy it. I have absolutely no interest in archery or muzzleloaders but would like more of an opportunity to hunt deer. Itís not like more deer will be shot. When you tag out you are done no matter what you use. I realize there is an advantage when it comes to range when comparing a handgun to archery but certainly not to an inline.
gf44mag and Pa. Slim like this.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Operator View Post
I would love to see a handgun season. Have it run concurrent with the last couple weeks of archery maybe. Why not? It would generate more revenue if they sell a separate tag for the season. I would buy it. I have absolutely no interest in archery or muzzleloaders but would like more of an opportunity to hunt deer. It’s not like more deer will be shot. When you tag out you are done no matter what you use. I realize there is an advantage when it comes to range when comparing a handgun to archery but certainly not to an inline.
I think they should allow it in the early muzzleloader season. Sure it's not a single shot proposition like a inline but range is likely no more than say a crossbow. It would be a good way to sell some tags and allow those who don't use archery or muzzleloader equipment a week of hunting.
gf44mag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't think we'll see it. I've used my Contender 30.30 in regular firearm seasons with great success. I used it just to see if I could harvest a deer. I did - so that itch was scratched.
gf44mag likes this.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:21 PM
The Man

Don't need another "special" season with more rules and reg.Think we have enough.Use the handguns in the reg rifle season.We will hear down the road why we don't let rifles in the handgun season when the rifle calibers are the same as the handgun calibers.
Be happy and content with what we have!
bohunr likes this.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Range is no more than a crossbow?? Um, no.......they shoot well beyond crossbow range. I'm a dedicated handgun hunter, but I don't need a special season, not with all the other special seasons already thrown into the mix.
IHMSA53393 and Dogface like this.

Steve
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf44mag View Post
Do you think Pennsylvania would ever entertain a handgun season?

I currently hunt all deer seasons and hunt some with an in-line handgun to get more handgun hunting in. I havenít purchased a flintlock handgun. That is one possible option as well. My preference would be to use my 44 mag.
I certainly hope not! how many specialized seasons will it take to satisfy all hunters. You can use your hand gun in any season that a shotgun or rifle is legal.
bohunr and Dogface like this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

I’m still waiting for my Atlatl season 🙂
octagon likes this.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

I built a 50 cal flintlock pistol to use in F\L season. I haven't taken one with it yet. One thing that drives me nutz is the PGC allows a flinter long rifle in SRA's like Allegheny county, but does not allow a F\L pistol.

Beat's the life outta me the logic on that one.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:20 AM

with the bow season and flintlock season being six weeks long why not allow the handgun hunters to hunt for a week in each of those seasons? possibly at the end of those seasons. this would give the PGC some extra funding and still let the handgun hunters have a season to hunt in without having the deer running through the woods at top speed. this would give some hunters a chance to harvest a doe with unfilled tags. this might be a way to control CWD in the state.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page