Hastings or Remington? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
DVD
Frequent Contributor

Hastings or Remington?

I’m considering a build of a dedicated slug gun. I have an older wood stocked 12 gauge Remington 870 “M” receiver. It seems like it has some meat to it, feeling more solidly built than the current 870s. Maybe that’s just my imagination. I’ve looked at Hastings and Remington cantilevered barrels as this would be an optics only rig. What are the pros and cons of each?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hastings have a warning on there site "not to shoot Remington sabot's ammo through there slug barrels". I came upon that a week ago when I was looking to get a slug barrel for my 870.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:42 PM
The Man

I don't know if I just had a lemon or not, but before NY permitted rifles in their deer season, I was hunting there some and had an 11-87 12 ga rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount. It was the worst shooting slug gun that I ever had. I honestly could not get groups tighter than 6 inch at 50 yards. And I tried 5 or 6 different kinds of slugs, including the Remington copper solids.
I took it hunting anyway, and shot at a buck at 25 yards. I thought I missed it, but I actually hit it low in the brisket. I discovered that after it ran toward my buddy and he killed it. He fired two shots and we found three holes in it in a neat little cloverleaf which I assumed mine to be the lowest one. That was the only day that I carried it and sold it after the season.
Like I said, maybe I just had a lemon, but based upon that experience, I don't think I'd buy another Remington slug gun or barrel, especially with the QC problems that they are rumored to be having.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
DVD
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcadet View Post
Hastings have a warning on there site "not to shoot Remington sabot's ammo through there slug barrels". I came upon that a week ago when I was looking to get a slug barrel for my 870.
I noticed that too. When I called Hastings for details, I asked about that. The call taker stated there was one issue with Remington copper solids, and Hastings/Verney Carron wanted nothing to do with another, therefore, they made said recomendation. Seemed like once was enough, sure would be for me. I won’t be the next test case.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:08 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
I don't know if I just had a lemon or not, but before NY permitted rifles in their deer season, I was hunting there some and had an 11-87 12 ga rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount. It was the worst shooting slug gun that I ever had.

I had the same experience with an 870 that was a cantilever gun from new. It threw just about everything I shot out of it all over the place. After trying a half dozen brands I finally found it would shoot Lightfield Lights OK at 50 yards. Like Kudu, I got rid of the gun after the first season, traded it at Cabelas for a Savage 220.
Dogface likes this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
DVD
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58 View Post
I don't know if I just had a lemon or not, but before NY permitted rifles in their deer season, I was hunting there some and had an 11-87 12 ga rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount. It was the worst shooting slug gun that I ever had. I honestly could not get groups tighter than 6 inch at 50 yards. And I tried 5 or 6 different kinds of slugs, including the Remington copper solids.
I took it hunting anyway, and shot at a buck at 25 yards. I thought I missed it, but I actually hit it low in the brisket. I discovered that after it ran toward my buddy and he killed it. He fired two shots and we found three holes in it in a neat little cloverleaf which I assumed mine to be the lowest one. That was the only day that I carried it and sold it after the season.
Like I said, maybe I just had a lemon, but based upon that experience, I don't think I'd buy another Remington slug gun or barrel, especially with the QC problems that they are rumored to be having.
Ugh not good! I would be taking it to a gunsmith to go over and adjust, true, lock tite, etc. I have time to research.

Maybe I just chop and pin the barrel, drill and tap for scope? Decisions...

Tarhunt has a nice looking product, but expensive!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Savage 220
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 PM

i had a Mossberg branded barrel for my 870. it was very accurate with Hornady slugs.

Lake Effect Beagles
Remmy/Winnie/Queenie/Nellie/Dewey/YooHoo/Shoog
V.P. Presque Isle Beagle club
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

My old hunting partner and I hunted a 24/7 deer deprevation permit for years. He had the Hastings barrel on his 12Ga Remington, and it was simply a tackdriver. Pretty much accurate with any sabot he tried, including the Copper Solids. (I know).

He picked up a Savage 220 in 20Ga, with the camo stock and never looked back. He sold the 12 Ga.

That 220 impressed me so much that I own one too. After filling the forestock with Accraglas to stiffen it up, and bedding the action as well, mine is easily accurate to 150 yds, and at FTRPAs 200 yd range it hit the 9X9inch steel plate 5 for 5 pretty much center.

Zeroed 1.75 inches at 100 yds using 3" Accutips it is dead on at 125 yds, and 2 1/2" low at 150. If you want a suggestion for a "put it in the middle and pull the trigger" gun this is it.

Remember.... they're full time deer......we're part time hunters!

Last edited by flintlock hunter; 02-04-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 07:54 PM

Buy the Savage 220 and pair it with the Remington accutips. It won't cost that much more than buying a Hastings Barrel. a much better trigger than any pump or semi
loridr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page