Ithaca 37 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Ithaca 37

Looking to get some info. I just picked up a Ithaca model 37 16ga 28” barrel after looking up the serial no it’s dated to 1939 just looking for some more info and maybe a value thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 04:29 PM
The Man

Public auctions the 12's are bringing $200-$250.The 16's will bring slightly more.Picked mine up for $200.The 20's are bringing $400+.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Condition dictates much of the value. The M37 was a popular gun for many years. They were relatively inexpensive until they reimmerged after the original company went under. The older models (prior to 1980’s) can be found for $200-$300 in decent condition.
The older Ithaca 37’s were prone to “slam firing”. This occurs when the shooter continues to depress the trigger when cycling the pump. The firing pin doesn’t retract and the gun discharges when seating the round in the chamber.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappybear View Post
The older Ithaca 37’s were prone to “slam firing”. This occurs when the shooter continues to depress the trigger when cycling the pump. The firing pin doesn’t retract and the gun discharges when seating the round in the chamber.

Some would do that without pressing the trigger. When I first started at the PD in 91, we had Ithaca 37's as patrol shotguns. One of our guys was cycling the rounds out of one and it discharged into the ceiling. He was in some trouble until he took the chief to the range and it did it again. We also has 37's with pistol grips and 14" barrels. Those things weren't much fun to shoot if you didn't have a hold on it.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 07:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We got rid of our Korean War vintage Ithaca’s in the early 1980’s.
They had heat shields with bayonet studs over the barrels.
Replaced them with Remington 870P’s. A half dozen had folding stocks with pistol grips.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Loved that slam fire. Faster than a semi in the duck swamp. When you push forward, moved right back on the target. I'm going to have to look for one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page