28ga Autoloader - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

28ga Autoloader

I am considering getting a 28ga autoloader for clays and was looking at the Benelli Ethos and Beretta xplor version and wondered if there was any experience out there with either in 28ga or perhaps other suggestions??
I have an SBE and a 390 in 12ga so familiar with the action differences. Considering this one for my wife to shoot as well so recoil is important but cleaning is not!!!
Thanks for your thoughts and comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 10:46 AM

I think you'll be fine with either one quite frankly, although I would personally go with Beretta. Just curious, but did your wife ever consider a 20ga?
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:47 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
I think you'll be fine with either one quite frankly, although I would personally go with Beretta. Just curious, but did your wife ever consider a 20ga?

The 20 is a lot cheaper to shoot. I always wanted a 28 gage autoloader but I keep talking myself out of one because of the cost after you buy it, ammo, components press etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage

I buy the .28 gauge ammo by the case, it is cheaper that way.
BrowningFan369 likes this.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

"We" have a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro which is a great gun as well as an O/U. "We" also have a 28ga O/U Weatherby that is a few years old but she is looking to get into some clays shooting and I, I mean "we", don't have a 28 autoloader and thought it would be a great addition.
"We" buy ammo by the case so try and keep the costs down. BTW-looked at both at Cabela's today and I kind of like the Benelli over the Beretta--a little lighter, but expected that because of inertia system. Beretta has a bronze-look receiver and just not as nice looking but several hundred less.
Thanks for your comments.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVLongShooter View Post
"We" have a 20ga Benelli Montefeltro which is a great gun as well as an O/U. "We" also have a 28ga O/U Weatherby that is a few years old but she is looking to get into some clays shooting and I, I mean "we", don't have a 28 autoloader and thought it would be a great addition.
"We" buy ammo by the case so try and keep the costs down. BTW-looked at both at Cabela's today and I kind of like the Benelli over the Beretta--a little lighter, but expected that because of inertia system. Beretta has a bronze-look receiver and just not as nice looking but several hundred less.
Thanks for your comments.
Gotcha. "We" have a 20ga Montefeltro also that my wife shoots. I see where you're coming from now. I do love a 28ga myself, I have a Red Label that I purchased off a forum member here a few years ago. I really prefer a 20ga though as an all around gun.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 06:36 AM

Get the Beretta A400. My buddy picked one up when they first came out. It is the thinnest lightest gun I've ever held. You won't be disappointed.

Personally, I won't ever look at anything made by Benelli. An auto has to cycle, and I don't trust them to produce a gun that does that reliably.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I went the 28 ga route for a while, o/u-auto-pump and a mec 9000G. I sold all but the pump Remington 870 and went to the 20 ga, two browning o/u,s, one browning BSS sporter, one beretta silver halk, two Remingtons a 1100 and a 1187 along with a mec 9000G and never looked back. a little more weight but not enough to bother a 75 year old man.
Dogface likes this.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 AM
The Man

Eastbank there is something about a 20 gage.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 10:58 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPJAW View Post
Personally, I won't ever look at anything made by Benelli. An auto has to cycle, and I don't trust them to produce a gun that does that reliably.

You should tell that to the USMC, the FBI, USSS and many PDs who use the Benelli.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page