Annoying Misfires - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Annoying Misfires

I have been trying to figure out the issue with my Charles Daly Field semi-auto 12 gauge. I have had it for a few years now, with a few misfires here and there. Now, it is basically every first shot. I then re rack a new shell and slam it hard. It usually goes off about 75% of the time. I have tried all different brands of shells. I was thinking it may be a trigger spring but im still not 100% sure. It leaves a dent in the primer but i dont think it is enough to set it off. Of course, this issue seems to especially occur when a flock of ducks or geese are coming in through perfectly. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:09 PM

My advice is simple...go to a gunsmith
blackpowder and Steeltrap like this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwing View Post
I have been trying to figure out the issue with my Charles Daly Field semi-auto 12 gauge. I have had it for a few years now, with a few misfires here and there. Now, it is basically every first shot. I then re rack a new shell and slam it hard. It usually goes off about 75% of the time. I have tried all different brands of shells. I was thinking it may be a trigger spring but im still not 100% sure. It leaves a dent in the primer but i dont think it is enough to set it off. Of course, this issue seems to especially occur when a flock of ducks or geese are coming in through perfectly. Any advice is appreciated.
From your comment about flocks of ducks and geese. You may have been out in some wet weather. Strip down the bolt and clean. Sounds like there may be some crud in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
My advice is simple...go to a gunsmith
I have. They werent 100% sure either. Ill end up trying to see if there is another one nearby
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA53393 View Post
From your comment about flocks of ducks and geese. You may have been out in some wet weather. Strip down the bolt and clean. Sounds like there may be some crud in there.
I have taken it completely apart and cleaned it throughly and nothing. It happened today after I cleaned it last week.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 PM

Send it in to Charles Daly for service
Steeltrap and RStone like this.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:40 AM

you say you have stripped it down to clean it, have you removed the firing pin & spring ?
I ask because it sounds like the pin & spring may have dirt, to much oil in there or the pin could be broken.
Dogface, jimsdad and Steeltrap like this.

NRA life member
DU member
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Frequent Contributor

A few years back I bought a used 336 cheap. with the same problem, I took the bolt apart. someone had put grease in the bolt. I cleaned the bolt inside and out. and put a light coat of oil on everything. not one misfire to date.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:23 AM
The Man

I have a Kassnar Churchill that has the same problem, intermittent misfires, dents the primer but no bang. Have had it to two separate smith's who "fixed it"... nope.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:13 PM
The Man

The info above is all good. Two other things I'd check would be the recoil lug recesses for gunk or debris and make sure your barrel is seated tight to the receiver. A nick or dirt would interfere with the barrel being seated flush to the receiver. If the barrel is not tight it would let the shell rest a few thousands further from the firing pin and result in light strikes. It the bolt cannot lock up tight that would leave a similar gap but the gun could still be fired.

BTW did you check the firing pin to make sure it is not chipped or damaged in some manner?
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM

I'll throw another suggestion... What ammo is misfiring, all brands or one in particular? I've known gun and primer combos to not get along.

Example, my buddy bought a box of Fiocchi primers for reloading. His Browning would barely ding the primer and had misfires galore. He gave me the loaded ammo and balance of the primers and I never had a problem out of my Win M12.

Now, there is likely some wear in his gun. But we've tried Fiocchi primers from different lots from time to time and always misfires.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page