trouble sighting in H&R Ultra 20 gauge w/ Leupold - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

trouble sighting in H&R Ultra 20 gauge w/ Leupold

Ok, I am trying to sight in a 20 gauge H&R Ultra Slugger with a Leupold 2x7 VX1 scope. I shot 15 slugs total out ofthis gun yesterday evening and for some reason i am out of adjustment on the left to right. the gun shoots so far left i am out of threads on the screw on the scope. I am a begginer but need some advice on what could be wrong. Afreind said to take the scope off and remount it. He siad that maybe it's not centered correctly. I find that hard to believe but at this point i'll try anything. The scope is mounted with "high" rings and a weaver mount tapped directly to the barrel.. any help would be greatly appreciated. -JRB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 01:55 PM
The Man

Re: trouble sighting in H&R Ultra 20 gauge w/ Leupold

Sometimes it just happens.........the rings could be bad and be twisted a little bit or the tap job may not be perfectly straight..............

You have two options here

1. use a shim on the side of the scope allowing you to gain enough to be able to adjust the windage of your scope

2. Buy a set of rings that have windage adjustments built into them which allow you to adjust the rings themselves left and right.....

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Racin41

that happened to me one time
i know this is going to sound odd ,but if you have both mounts going the same way (thumb screws same side) turn the front one the other way
had one that did the same thing and the gunshop did this and it worked

WHO ME ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racin41
that happened to me one time
i know this is going to sound odd ,but if you have both mounts going the same way (thumb screws same side) turn the front one the other way
had one that did the same thing and the gunshop did this and it worked
Racin, that sounds jsut crazy enough to work! I will try that tonight. I just want you guys to know that I appreciate the help. Last night I was so frustrated I wanted to throw the gun away! thanks so much. -JRB
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot1822
Sometimes it just happens.........the rings could be bad and be twisted a little bit or the tap job may not be perfectly straight..............

You have two options here

1. use a shim on the side of the scope allowing you to gain enough to be able to adjust the windage of your scope

2. Buy a set of rings that have windage adjustments built into them which allow you to adjust the rings themselves left and right.....
I will try this if flipping one of the mounts around doens't work. (I never knew mounts like that even existed, so I've learned a few things today!) thanks very much. -JRB
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 02:20 PM
The Man

If you decide to throw it out, let me know where you live.

Good luck getting it sighted in tonight. I will be hitting the bench tonight to sight in the new rounds the UPS man will be delivering this afternoon.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is the scope new? If not it was most likely adjusted to whatever it was previously sighted in on and that takes away some adjustment right off the bat. If not new you will have to center the scope again to get the full range of adjustment.
If it is a new scope the suggestions above are well worth a try and also unless you are getting good groups(even well out of center) it might just not shoot that particular brand of slug well and another brand/type might help.
What are you shooting out of it now?

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mfuff, the scope is brand new. I will take your advice and try anohter brand of slug tonight and report back tommorow. Last night I was shooting the Hornady SST's and at like 14 bucks per box it was adding to the frustration!! I will also clean the gun really well to rule that out. thanks -JRB
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Best of luck and keep us updated. With having a new scope it sounds like adjusting the mounts may be the way to go unless it just REALLY didn't like that ammo.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

well i switched the front mount around and it did the trick. I can't thank you guys enough, I was really frustrated and just couldn't make sense of what was going on. The gun shoots really well and had it shooting 2 inch groups which I was delighted with. I really can't thank you guys enough for the tips. The gun is capable of mroe accuracy but I dind't have more time to really fine tune it. (My shoulder was getting a little sore after 2 days of shooting so many rounds too...I think I was starting to flinch a little towards the end so i figured it was time to quit!)Thanks again for everyone's input. -JRB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page