Super redhawk - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Super redhawk

I'm looking to get a new ruger super redhawk probley getting it in 44 mag any opinions on them or other caliber good or bad as this will primarily be a hunting revolver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:37 PM
New Arrival

A super red hawk is a great choice. It has a very strong action that is capable of handling even larger cartridges and is easy to put a scope on if you want to go that route.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's been my experience, just from a shooting buddy, that the Ruger's are fine revolvers. Now, that being said they will need a trigger job if you don't like a heavy trigger pull.

I think the Super Redhawk is a double\single action revolver. I own a few S&W 44 mag's. Both are double\single action. Frankly it's pretty rare that I actually shoot then in DA. Target shooting and "plinking" I use SA 99% of the time. I've taken several doe with my 44's and again, always in SA. Never DA.

If your going to shoot it in any type of event where "speed" is essential, then you will want DA. If not, consider saving your dollars and get the less expensive SA Blackhawk.

But, you know what you want. I'm just tossing out some thoughts.

Good luck with your buy......I know from personal experience that shooting the 44's are fun!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 02:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I've owned and hunted with a SRH for many years! Love it!!! Awesome, accurate and built like a tank!!!! I have mine sighted in to be dead on at 100 yards. From a bench, it will shoot 2-3" groups at 100 yards, especially if the nut behind the trigger is tight!

I've taken several deer with the SRH and still own it, but I've taken to using my T/C Contenders the last few years.

I would get one in .44 Magnum, which is more than enough gun. I also own the Super Blackhawk which is a single action revolver, whereas the SRH is a double action. If you plan on mounting a scope, then the SRH is the perfect choice.

Steve
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 03:00 PM
Frequent Contributor

I started my big game pistol hunting with a Black Hawk Hunter. Set up and designed for hunting. 3 inch groups at 100 with 240 JHP and easy to pack in. I put a Simmons pistol scope on it, a 2x6 I believe, and it is so much fun. It now sits because I fell in love with my contender. A 7-30 waters is a deer smoking machine.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I love mine, touch holes at 50 yards off bench, 44 mag, SHR Single action trigger is great, Double action takes lots of Practice.

Good luck, Stant

Last edited by Stant; 10-15-2018 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 05:17 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I carry a ruger super black hawk 44 mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. Love shooting it, 240 grain hollow pt. Have not yet got to shoot a deer with it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One of my other hunting handguns, is the SBH. I just put a Burris Fastfire 3 on it, because it's getting harder for me to see the front sight clearly!

Steve
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 08:17 AM

my two cents...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree rat View Post
I'm looking to get a new ruger super redhawk probley getting it in 44 mag any opinions on them or other caliber good or bad as this will primarily be a hunting revolver
Fine, sturdy, last you a life time gun - for sure - as most Rugers are. Will take a lifetime of top pressure loads. BUT, they are also boat anchors as revolvers go! Your choice.

If your going to be sitting most of the day and not doing allot of walking (your a deer hunter and not a bear hunter) or you will be putting a regular scope on it, the Super Redhawk is a fine choice.

If you want a lighter gun and have no intention on ever putting a scope on it - or if you ever want to learn how to shoot consistently DA - then hands down get a S&W.

I agree with the others above. If you never intend to shoot it DA - why bother getting a DA revolver? Save your money and get a Black Hawk model. Most of them are also lighter than the SRH.

On a side note: If you really want to learn how to shoot DA - get a S&W K Frame 38 spl and practice,practice,practice............

Big LSWC's rule
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 10:27 AM

any Ruger Redhawk is one of the best revolvers to get. as another post said, they will handle some hot loads with ease. i own a regular redhawk in 44 mag. i had a redhawk a while back in 41 mag which i loved but had to sell it. worst thing i ever did. Ruger quit making it in 41 mag. wish they would bring it back out even in a limited addition. i ended up buying a Blackhawk in 41 mag a few years ago. love shooting that one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page