Caution loading BPI's ITX shot - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Caution loading BPI's ITX shot

I discovered something about BPI's ITX shot. While this is probably the finest shot for waterfowling there is a side effect that you should be aware of. While loading 10 gauge using 1-3/8 oz load of ITX BB shot I started having problems with crimps. I had just changed bags of shot and started analyzing what could have changed to start causing the problem. I was suddenly crushing the hulls and the only thing I had changed was the bag of shot. Turns out the pellet weight changed dramatically. I counted out 81 pellets which should be 1-3/8 oz. per the guides and found that instead of 7.2 grains per pellet the new bag was only 6.8 grains. This might not seem like it should cause a problem but when you consider that these are BB size pellets it meant about 9 more pellets per load which translated into one extra layer of pellets. That caused the column height to be too high and thus the crush. I now weigh 81 pellets from each bag to establish what that will weigh and load accordingly. BTW I also switched to roll crimps so the crush problem went away but it still can cause bad roll crimps as well.

One thing I learned through all of this is that each bag of shot regardless of the type can have a different blend of metals and thus weigh differently. I jump around between using hard lead, nickel plated lead and ITX along with a few others and started noticing that different bags of shot in all types can vary. If you are loading using a volume dump the loading should got normally with no crimping issues but if you are loading by weighing the loads then be careful when you change bags of shot.

Hope this is interesting to those who enjoy rolling your own shells.

Diversity exists because of what makes America great --- our freedom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2018, 11:27 PM
The Man

Check out Refuge Forum and Duck Hunting Chat. There is a lot of discussing about ITX on those sites.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page