Advice for price on revolver, please - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Advice for price on revolver, please

Good morning,

I would like to begin carrying a revolver this deer season. I have settled on either S&W 629, 6.5 barrel, or Ruger Redhawk, 7" barrel. Third choice is Taurus Raging Bull.

As I do my research, I am surprised at how high the price is on used guns in this category. This has begun to push me to buying a new gun. My local gun shop has the 629 for $820, and the Redhawk for $880. They have a 25 year old Redhawk (very nice condition) with 4X Leupold and wood grip for $700. I am tempted by this one, but I would have to add pachmyar grip, and reduce the scope to 2X or red dot sight, thus pushing the price up to near new.

I am asking for advice or opinion on the general rule of thumb you use for a used gun? 70% of cost for new one?, 80%? 90%? I realize many things drive the price of used guns, and won't get into that now.

I have followed other forum categories on this site, but first post to this one.

Thank you for any assistance.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:30 PM

Revolvers cost more to make now than the run of the mill plastic fantastic autos we all see for between $350-$600.

As far as new prices, std Stainless Ruger Redhawks can be found on gunbroker for $800 bucks + $30 shipping.

New S&W 629's can be had for $777 same shipping. (BTW, an outfit in Lancaster which is new to me!)

--------used, there's a great used Redhawk on sale at this forum for $650 with all you want, and no, it's not my listing but I know the guy and the gun. You can find them used in stock form for less.

When you start trying to talk used S&Ws, that's when we need more information. Each dash model has it's specific changes and some will bring more than others. For instance a beat up no dash 29 might bring more than a clean 29-4. It just depends. The box will usually add $50-$100 for the older or more collectible models. I actually sold a 29-3 today that was in very good shape, but no box, for $750. Also, not having the stock grips on some S&Ws can substantially ding the price. For instance original combat wood grips on K, L, and N frame models from the late 80s - early 90s can go for up to $200 alone.

Taurus - can't help you there. Not a fan.

Big LSWC's rule
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:45 PM

oh, just curious - this isn't your first and only revolver, is it?

Big LSWC's rule
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Mac,
PM sent to you.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:46 PM

what about a contender?

"one hand clapping" mork from ork
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 05:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't rule out the Ruger Blackhawk , unless you have your heart set on a DA. A single action always felt more comfortable in my hand and I always shoot them better. I would at least compare SA vs. DA before you buy if you haven't already done so.

As far as quality goes it sounds like your on the right track. All good guns, even the Taurus. While not a Smith or Ruger, still a good gun for the money. I have a Raging Bull in .454 Casull and have no complaints. Its biggest fault is that it is made in Brazil.

As for used pricing - I wouldn't pay 90% of new. Maybe 80 % if in cherry condition. Naturally guns with collector value is a whole other story. The shop most likely paid about 50 % or less.

Last edited by simoncool; 02-20-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add text
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you Simon, I appreciate that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:37 PM
CD2
Part of the Community

I shoot single actions just fine but actually prefer the Smith N frames.
While a double action rig........I only shoot them in SA mode.
Hold right, thumb left.

Preference is for pre lawyer lock too.
They're getting silly on price.
Need a newer style w endurance package if wanting to run over 240gr stuff.
That'd be the Classic model or others of that time frame.
Am content to run 180 and 200 gr .44 mag loads, so a -3 or older 629 6" is my choice.

Have had a couple New Model SBH and a couple Old Model (3 screw). Like the feel of the 3 screws..........but after messing with SA Rugers for 20 plus yrs.........I've just grown to not like them in general. The grip, triggers and lock time. Overall balance/feel.
Had a minty 3 screw in box, shot it a little and dumped it.
Nice rig.

Just grew to like different.

Arthritis and job wear/injury...............Proly step down to .357 mag.
Python OK, but for all arounder.........a 6" 686 Smith gets the nod.
Unfortunately those in pre lock...........are getting silly in price too.

Eyes getting bad. Nice to get one where a reddot can be added.

Have messed with EER scopes. Never got used to them.
Reddots make it MUCH easier.
Aimpoint 30mm (or clone) pretty darn nice.

Had one on a .35 rem Contender.
Liked it way better than the 2.5-7X that was on prev Contender .35

IMHO Ruder ought to do a "hunter" model of the GP100.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2 View Post
IMHO Ruger ought to do a "hunter" model of the GP100.
You know, I had a Redhawk, but gravitated to S&W over time because I migrated to shooting DA all the time and just found the S&W action better suited for that. Over the course of the last 25 years, I have to admit to becoming somewhat of a S&W snob. Colts are pretty much priced out of my range.

BUT, I had the opportunity to handle one of the RUGER® GP100® MATCH CHAMPION's a few months ago. I came away mighty impressed. It was far and away the best out of the box action I've ever felt on a Ruger. That might stand in as your "hunter" model, at least in .357.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page