Buckshot For Deer/Bear How effective is it? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Uncle Nicky

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Buckshot For Deer/Bear How effective is it?

I was talking to a guy the other day and he was telling me how they use Buckshot in NJ to hunt deer... He said he does real well with it...

Just your opinion on using buck shot for deer? what size do you think is the best? Have you ever used it in any states or counties that allowed or mandated it?

Do you think the Pa Game Commission will ever allow to use of larger Buckshot than # 4 for predators?

Do you see Pa going to total shotgun big game state someday? Sabot, Fosters, and Buckshot?

Add anything you think that is important about different buckshot kill range on big game animals..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:35 AM
New Arrival

I grew up in Northwest New Jersey and have hunted there every year for the past 32 years. I have shot all my deer with buckshot. Mostly OOO from a 12 Ga. 3 inch shell. Also have use OO buck and even O buck when I was younger. You can also use slugs from a shotgun in New Jersey for further distances. I would be surprised to see PA goto shotgun only due to the number of large farms, fields and big woods.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:42 AM

I grew up and still live in the special regulations area. My father hunted exclusively with buckshot around here, and that's what I learned to use.

It will kill a deer. It will maim just as many. In general, it does not pattern well, and does not penetrate far, especially when deer have their winter coats. I REALLY understood how bad it was when I had my processing business, and saw how deep it didn't penetrate muscle or bones.

I wouldn't shoot past 30 yards at anything with buckshot, and if I were to use it, I'd aim for the head or neck like you would a turkey. It generally doesn't leave a good blood trail to follow.

Your mileage may vary.
Dogface likes this.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:59 PM
Administrator

I also grew up across the river from Pike County.

Love my buckshot hunting.

I use 0 buck magnum in my 101 and 00 buck in my old model 12.

I've flopped many a deer out to 70 yards with the model 12 and up to 50 yards with the 101.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:37 PM
Sage

My buddy has killed close to 100 deer with a shotgun, and all with 00 buck, he prefers copper coated, we live in a shotgun state, I prefer a slug myself, but he has more kills than I do....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I also grew up a cross the river shot many a deer with the my h&r single shot and my old jc higgings pump used the old winchester super x 00 3 in mags on an open shots they would both put deer down out to 75 yards from what i have heard the buck shot today doe,s not perform like the old stuff so if i were to hunt with buck shot now days i would see what my gun liked and keep my shots 40/50 yards just my op.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you pattern your gun and keep your shots within it's effective range based on this patterning then it can be OK. Problem is that a lot of people "spray and pray" at long range. A single pellet penetrating the chest or guts will leave no blood, but be deadly for the deer. With todays slug guns I don't know why anyone would use it. I know a lot clubs that drive deer require it's use for "safety" reasons.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 11:19 AM
BHC
Part of the Community

38 years of hunting I took one deer (my first deer with 00 buck) it took 2 shots......since then slugs...Have taken many deer and one bear here in NJ with slugs.....Buckshot has it's place, just need to find the right ammo/choke combo, keep shots under 40 yards
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
The Man

When I hunt predators in Virginia I will slip in some 00 or # 3 buck into my SBE11. Um wonder when Pa will allow 00 buckshot for coyotes... could be we really don't need it... # 4 buckshot or T is sufficient to anchor those rascals... I do reload and will use NICKEL plated #4 Buckshot , T, and or BB for coyotes.. I use buffer to in my shot just like the buckshot coyote reloading manual says to do too...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Regular Visitor

Unless it is the only thing allowed why use buckshot? I would hate to be using buckshot and a nice deer walks out at 100 yards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page