Hunters special sxs - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Marc Ret

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Hunters special sxs

Talked with a local gunsmith to get a hunters special sbs 16 gauge to get back into service. He mentioned that Hunter Arms made some Damascus barrels and he wanted us to do some research on gun prior to shooting and going thru the restoration on it.

The serial numbers match so that's a good sign but I am having a hard time finding anything online or in the bible on this gun.

The serial number is 196xxx.

If anyone can help or give me things to look for on the gun that would be greatly appreciated

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 10:12 AM

Hunter Arms was formed to make L.C. Smith in Fulton,NY circa 1890 to 1945.
in 1915 Hunter Arms began making their own line of guns. per my book the Hunter Special was offered from 1937 to 1945.
these are "fluid steel" models so should be ok for use.
still , it was/is a good idea to have it gone over by a gunsmith.

NRA life member
DU member
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Jon,

As bad primer said, your gun would have fluid steel barrels. By the time your gun was made, Hunter Arms had pretty well suspended building guns with pattern-welded barrels. As well, I don't believe any of the Hunter Arms boxlocks were ever produced with anything other than fluid steel barrels. Depending on when it was made, it may have "short" chambers. Early Hunter Special guns in 16ga were chambered for the 2 9/16" shell.

What does "restoration" entail? Doubleguns tend to be a specialized area of expertise when it comes to the skills/knowledge needed to repair or restore them properly. A fair number of good SxS guns have been messed up by gunsmiths who didn't know what they were doing (e.g.- hot bluing a set of barrels as opposed to a proper rust blue). I'm not implying your gunsmith isn't capable of doing the work, just that many general gunsmiths aren't familiar with them.

Not much info readily available on the Hunter Special on the Internet. A snippet on the LC site The L.C. Smith Collectors Association
If you have more questions on the gun itself, consider a post on the LC forum that you can link to from the above grades page.

I have a 16ga Hunter Special (along with numerous other 16s ��) as well. Although a bit on the heavy side for a 16, I like mine. They're solid guns. Not overly valuable in today's market but very serviceable. Hope you enjoy yours.

Marcus
stackbarrel likes this.

Last edited by Marc Ret; 12-31-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 12:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I agree with Marcus, go to the LC Smith forum and you will get your answers. Even if the gun in question would be damascus pattern barrels, if the barrel wall thickness is enough you can shoot the gun using sensible shells. Not 3 1/4 dram 1 1/4 oz field loads (just an example). RST makes nice shells, so does Fiocchi and Clever that we use in our vintage SxS guns. Plenty of info on rolling your own shells too. Ballistic Products has the most extensive loading manual out there. Info can also be found on the collector association sites (Smith, Fox, Parker, Lefever, Double Gun Site, etc..)

Enjoy the ride with the vintage guns. You'll be hooked!!

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

Functioning restoration, the gun is in great condition for the age.

Thanks for the information

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

I love side by sides. I couldn't own enough. My personal opinion is if the gunsmith is not capable of telling Damascus from steel. I would not have him do the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page