Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for slugs? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for slugs?

Looking for a reasonably priced slug gun. I know both the 870 and Mossberg can be had in the $250-350 range. I know this is going to get a mixed bag of responses, but that's what I want - opinions on both.

Are they both USA made?

If there are other comparable guns I should consider, please recommend. I prefer pump guns over single shots and dbl barrels.

Mossberg 500
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Browning BLR .308</span> Ruger American .308
Wicked Ridge Invader HP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 PM
The Man

Re: Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 for slugs?

I hate the safety on the mossberg. I own two 870 slug guns and an Ithaca deerslayer. I wouldn't even think about buying or using anything but what I have.

"god fearin, hard workin. combine driver"
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:13 PM
The Man

I just got a remington 870 with a cantilever scope mount back in january and It is by far now my favorite shotgun.
the mossberg with a cantelever is also another good choice. basicly its whatever one you like best out of the two.
witch ever one you choose I recomend topping it off with a nikon 7X32 shotgun scope.
my barrel is a 22 inch barrel and it is less painfull to shoot as a shotgun with an 18 inch barrel . another advatage of the remington shotguns is there new recoil pad that comes on them.

advantage of mossberg is the safe is on top instead of on the trigger guard. and also mossberg holds six rounds five in tube and one in chamber. remington only holds 5. four in tube and 1 in chamber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:15 PM

I have a M0ossberg 835 with rifled barrel, scope and have tried various ammos, but still not satisfied with its accuracy. I have heard that the Ithaca Model 37 "Deerslayer" is the most accurate slug gun on the market, because the barrel is integral with the action.

benchrest
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoolshooter
I have a M0ossberg 835 with rifled barrel, scope and have tried various ammos, but still not satisfied with its accuracy. I have heard that the Ithaca Model 37 "Deerslayer" is the most accurate slug gun on the market, because the barrel is integral with the action.
is your scope mounted on the reciever, if so get a cantilever mount barrel for it so the scope is hooked on the barrel and that will help alot.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:40 PM
The Man

here's my rundown on the 870 and the model 37. I have the heavy contour 23" can't. barrel on my 870 super slug. that gun will shoot VERY tight groups at 100yds. I shoot 3" coppersolids out of it and have never had a jam or any other problem. I've put that gun through a rough life, and its still dead on as of 4 hours ago when I shot it. you can't get a better all around gun. I also have an 870 with the 20" smootbore for when I'm pushing thickets. its great to be able to change barrels in a matter of seconds. the Ithaca is a cabinet queen.lol its very light, but kicks like a stinkin mule. the bad part about the older model 37's and 87's is mounting a scope if you want to. I couldn't get the eye relief right with the scope mounted to the rear sight base. I'm now just using it with open sights. that is the only complaint I have about that gun. lightweight, quick cycling, and deadly accurcy makes it a great gun.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:45 PM

I have no complaints about my 870, but I other than requalifications at work I have never shot a Mossberg shotgun, so I really have no basis for comparison. But based on my limited Mossberg experience, I agree with Junior about the safety.

Obama/Biden-Change You Can Believe In If You Feel It's The Government's Job To Provide For You.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I made a trade with Moss a month or so back and got a Mossberg 500 in the deal.Moss threw in a smoothbore slug barrel and I was appreciative.I really didn't plan on using the slug barrel but my daughter Britt decided yesterday that she wanted to hunt bear with me.Britt has a Ruger 77 in 6.5x55 and her handloaded 120 gr ballistic tips were not gonna cut it.Hmmmm I wonder what the slugger will do.A quick trip to crappo-mart and 4 boxes of slugs in hand I was off to the range after a shot at 25 put me on paper I shot at 50 yards and the gun put 5 shots in 2 1/4 " with 3 of them in one inch! Wow,I now have a slug barrel on my wish list.I am using my 338 but I actually feel like Britt is better off than me,we hunt some really thick stuff and the 1 oz slug is absolutely awesome.I was able to recover 3 slugs from the berm and they were all intact and perfect shrooms,and these are the cheapo Remmy sluggers.Cool.Uhhh what was the question again?Oh I have no problem with my Mossy,never have.
JIM
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 AM
The Man

the ithaca will hold 3 shells, 870 holds 5, and mossberg holds 6. we don't have a shell capacity limit down here during deer season, not sure about the rest of the state.

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 AM

i like the 870 better i have owned both

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page