LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Handgun holster issues (Hunting)

Hey everyone. I am having a hard time finding a holster for my hunting setup:

Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag
7.5 inch barrel
Ultra dot red dot

My main problem is when I went to install the red dot, the notches on the gun; that ruger has on it from the factory (where the scope rings mount), were to close together so the scope would not mount on the rings. The part where the adjustment knobs are located was to long to allow enough clearance for the rings (silver part on the scope). With this issue I was informed to buy a rail system to add to the gun then mount the scope on the rail (I can't remember the name of the rail). With the rail and the taller scope I can not find a holster that properly fits the gun. Does anyone have a similar set up or advice on a holster?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pistol.jpg (248.3 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 08:32 PM

Triple K #474 Big Thunder Chest Rig Holsters : Cabela's

https://www.galcogunleather.com/kodi..._8_2_1178.html

Maybe something like this?

Besides that I would think that some sort of bandolier would be the only other option.

Last edited by Marcus99; 12-03-2017 at 08:34 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 12:49 AM

ok ruger hand guns have the same height unlike the rifles that use two different hights...
what you need is a set of 30 mm or one inch tube ruger rings... pending on your red dot
you need an off set ruger ring to take up the difference. they will fit it a lot better then get an uncle mikes bandeito holster it will work but bulky
few different companys make the rings.. they will prob be about 60$ plus for them but you can lose the rail and the rings off of it..

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/68...o-matte-medium

this is what it will look like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavage View Post
ok ............ then get an uncle mikes bandeito holster it will work but bulky
few different companys make the rings.. they will prob be about 60$ plus for them ...........
Yup, I second what slavage says on the Uncle Mike's holster. I used one for a Rugur Redhawk with a bigger leupold on it and it worked fine.

Uncle Mike's Holster Selector - Details

Big LSWC's rule
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs' Mountain View Post
Yup, I second what slavage says on the Uncle Mike's holster. I used one for a Rugur Redhawk with a bigger leupold on it and it worked fine.

Uncle Mike's Holster Selector - Details
I have the sidekick holster right now and it is the one for up to a 10.5 inch barrel and it still doesn't fit right. I am going to try the offset rings and see if maybe that will help me. Thanks for the help everyone.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Sage

I never cared for Uncle Mikes holsters, I had one briefly for my .45 APC and hated it. I consider them a rag in the making. If I was carrying a gun as large as the OP's I would want a leather holster which is a lot more substantial and will last forever if cared for. If the leather holster recommended won't work you can always have a custom made holster made.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the help everyone. I definitely am looking at a new holster and that leather one that was mentioned seems to fit the bill. I am going to try and remove the rail system as well to cut down on some weight and overall size.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have the same revolver but with a Burris fast fire replacing the rear sight. I personally went with the Galco Kodiak Hunter and I absolutely love it. It keeps the gun low and out of the way without digging into the ground or my gut like a hip holster does while I'm sitting on stand.

Even though it is an open top design it is tight enough that I leave the retention strap off while walking through the woods for quicker access and it hasn't tried to fall out once.

https://www.galcogunleather.com/kodi..._8_2_1178.html
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 PM
Sage

I have a Galco holster for my .40 S&W Kahr MK 40. It is well made ad will outlast me I am sure.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 12:22 PM
CD2
Part of the Community

I'd try to remount using Ruger offset rings like mentioned up thread, and then have a kydex custom holster made.
Got a heat gun...............can make yourself, but the pcs and learning process..........and end result aesthetics............proly best to have one made.

Knifekits/com carries the materials.
I get my kydex from them or from major auction site.......to save some $.
Don't make holsters, just cheekpieces.

Hopefully Ruger made/makes a stainless 30mm offset. Best bet is to go to a shop and check how much spacing that gets you after season. Might be enough. Might not.

I'm on the hunt for a 9.5" SRH like my dad had, will do a Burris Fastfire at fwd ring spot. No holster there, sling it LOL.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page