Handgun hunting??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
B B
Part of the Community

Handgun hunting???

This Saturday will be my first time attempting to take a deer with a handgun. Because I'm very picky I haven't found a holster to wear that I'm 100% satisfied with however, I do have a holster for it. My question is, can I transport my handgun in my backpack while walking to my stand?

I will continue to research the info on my own and yes, I will contact Fish and Game to confirm.

Last edited by B B; 11-29-2017 at 07:14 PM. Reason: }>?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 07:36 PM

yes you can. you also need either one of the following to hunt with a handgun

a. concealed carry permit

b. sportsman permit
BrowningFan369 and B B like this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see that you are from NJ, I sure hope you have a concealed carry license from NJ or a license from another state that has reciprocity with PA. Also, PA won’t issue you a non-resident license to carry unless your home state issues you one first.

So without those, you would not be able to carry or transport your handgun, even if it’s unloaded.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 11:12 PM

sorry, i missed the New Jersey part. you need to contact the Attorney Generals office for clarification.

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Medi...ty_Agreements/

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B B View Post
This Saturday will be my first time attempting to take a deer with a handgun. Because I'm very picky I haven't found a holster to wear that I'm 100% satisfied with however, I do have a holster for it. My question is, can I transport my handgun in my backpack while walking to my stand?

I will continue to research the info on my own and yes, I will contact Fish and Game to confirm.
Like the others asked/mentioned - are you hunting in PA or in NJ?

-----------------
As to your holster issue, what kind of handgun are you hunting with and is it scoped or iron sights?

Big LSWC's rule
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Regular Visitor

IMHO The only issue you will have is getting your hand gun out of NJ. NJ really doesn't have transport laws like PA does.

Once in PA. You may transport your unloaded handgun in a locked container in the trunk of your car to where you are hunting. Once you are where you are hunting you can load the gun an carry it in a holster on your body. It may not be concealed. Even in a backpack. Once you are done hunting empty the gun and put it back in its container in the trunk and be on your way.

PA allows open carry with out a LTCF. except in Philadelphia. The issue is getting your gun to where you want to hunt. Without an LTCF in PA you are only allowed to have a gun in your car when you are going to and from the range, hunting, gun store, place of business, vacation home and a few other exceptions. But, it must be in the trunk unloaded and in a locked container.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
B B
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs' Mountain View Post
Like the others asked/mentioned - are you hunting in PA or in NJ?

-----------------
As to your holster issue, what kind of handgun are you hunting with and is it scoped or iron sights?
I'm inquiring about hunting in PA. I know better then to do so in this dump state.

I do have a conceal carry permit good for all 50 states.

Iron sights.

Thank you all for the help thus far.

Last edited by B B; 11-30-2017 at 08:59 PM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
from where ? how ?

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:06 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
How? Unless Retired LEO with LEOSA that is almost impossible to get. NJ really doesn't issue permits to common people. Same with MD and HI.

I have PA, UT and AZ and still cannot carry in all 50. That is until they pass Nationwide reciprocity.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I'm inquiring about hunting in PA. I know better then to do so in this dump state.

Iron sights.

Thank you all for the help thus far.
OK - good. Since you have a legal carry permit, you can carry a handgun by any means possible while afield - openly or concealed in your back pack or on your body. It also means you can seamlessly transition from hunting to driving to/from and not have take it on and off.

Next up, are you hunting in a stand? Will you also be carrying a rifle? Irons, so I assume it is a belt-able gun as opposed to a single shot behemoth?

I hunt with iron sighted revolvers and I've settled on leather crossdraw belt holsters since I can sit in a stand or in a vehicle comfortably with a 4-6 inch revolver no problem. And, if also carrying a rifle, you can carry it in your strong hand so that it does not whack the revolver. The only problem is that if it's real cold it's more than likely your outer layer(s) will cover up the handgun. But if your hunting, it should be out in your hands or in the stand in some way. Rigs I have used and can recommend include:

- Bianchi Model 111 Cyclone™ Belt Holster => nice for big 6-8+ inch revolvers.
- Galco D.A.O. Dual Action Outdoorsman Holster => I use this one for 3-4 inch revolvers and this one is easy to modify for bobbed hammer guns by shortening the hammer catch strap and replacing the snap.

both of these have hammer catch straps and fully cover the trigger for added safety while afield.

Good luck.

Big LSWC's rule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page