Shortening a stock - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Shortening a stock

Hey everyone. I am looking for suggestions on a shotgun for my girlfriend. She has been shooting shotguns for 15 years or so, and they have all been to big for her. Full size auto loaders work fine, but with a pump she has to bring the gun down, pump it then re shoulder it. I am looking to buy her a new one for Christmas and auto loaders are a bit out of the price range for me and youth pumps seem to be a bit to small. Is there any way to shorten the butt stock just a little bit to make it in between a youth and full size? or are there any after market stocks that will work for this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:08 PM

I know you're looking to shorten, but that mostly limits you to wooden stocks. If you're dealing with the standard pumps, like the Mossy 500 and the Remmy 870, I believe both of those guns have aftermarket stock kits really available. Others might require some digging, but may be out there.

If you're still open to the idea of getting a new gun, the Tristar Raptor youth models can be had well south of $400, and are getting a decent reputation for budget autoloaders. I would recommend a 20 gauge, which is easy on the shoulder and can do just about anything with modern ammo. The LOP is somewhere in the 13" ballpark, which isn't as obnoxiously short as some of the other youth models out there. I don't think you'll find a better gas gun at that price point, although Mossberg and Weatherby offer competitive autoloaders as well. As With any major purchase, do your research.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:17 PM

most shotgun stocks can be shortened, wood or synthetic. you will need to locate someone that knows how to do
it properly.
Dogface likes this.

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks JM. I've been searching but not finding to much information that helps. I would rather just get an auto, but I know some of the cheaper models have some problems (not all of them but I have heard about some). Thanks for the help. I'm going to look into the raptor
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Bad Primer, Do they just cut it down I'm assuming?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 03:53 PM

pj, send me a private message & I will explain it to you.

NRA life member
DU member
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpaden View Post
Bad Primer, Do they just cut it down I'm assuming?
this site will not let me reply to your message so here it is.

yes it gets cut however it must be done correctly.
I don`t want to give away any secrets so this will need to suffice...............................

NRA life member
DU member
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-06-2017, 06:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

pj,

Another option would be to buy a youth gun and use a slip-on butt pad. Numerous ones on the market such as Galco, Limbsaver, Bear Claw, etc. You can add spacers under them to adjust the length of pull to get it to where it fits your girlfriend.

Not sure what the big secret is to cutting a stock and fitting a new pad/plate. For the best outcome, cut the stock and install the pad at the same time the wood is finished. You can still get excellent results without redoing the stock finish though. Cutting the stock can be a bit tedious as it requires the stock to remain square to the blade of the saw along two planes (unless you are wanting to adjust the pitch of the pad). Use painters tape along the cut area and a sharp blade to mitigate chipping/splintering. The easiest method for a beginner to fit the pad is by using a commercial jig and 10" or 12" disc sander. I'm sure there are videos online to help if you want to do the work yourself. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Marcus
1straightshot likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Ret View Post
pj,

Another option would be to buy a youth gun and use a slip-on butt pad. Numerous ones on the market such as Galco, Limbsaver, Bear Claw, etc. You can add spacers under them to adjust the length of pull to get it to where it fits your girlfriend.

Not sure what the big secret is to cutting a stock and fitting a new pad/plate. For the best outcome, cut the stock and install the pad at the same time the wood is finished. You can still get excellent results without redoing the stock finish though. Cutting the stock can be a bit tedious as it requires the stock to remain square to the blade of the saw along two planes (unless you are wanting to adjust the pitch of the pad). Use painters tape along the cut area and a sharp blade to mitigate chipping/splintering. The easiest method for a beginner to fit the pad is by using a commercial jig and 10" or 12" disc sander. I'm sure there are videos online to help if you want to do the work yourself. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Marcus
Thank you Marcus
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Tamarack Armory in Meadville cut down my Citori length of pull. Did a really good job. Doc in Pa

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page