Red Dot question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Red Dot question

I am at the point of deciding either between a Sig Sauer 1911 or a Springfield Armory Range Officer and I could uses some support in terms of compatible Red Dot sights for them.
I think I understand that there are a number of Red Dot sights available but not all of them are capable of being mounted on either of the guns I have in mind.
Could someone please advise on what Red Dots are compatible with the guns I am considering?

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 02:27 PM
The Man

Most 1911's don't have a rail machined into the slide to accommodate a red dot. Most Sigs and the Range Officer don't - at least to my knowledge. Are you planning on adding something to the stock gun for the sight? If not, I'd look to other models.

I ran a red dot on one of my Glocks and hated it. I actually shot better without it. I had a hard time being able to bring up the gun and find the dot quickly. That may have something to do with the amount of time I gave to get used to it (maybe 3 range trips) and my astigmatism. That being said I used a Primary Arms Micro and a Vortex Venom, both were solid sights.

Don't Tread On Me is what it says and I'll take that to my grave.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2017, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystoneMAN 85 View Post
Most 1911's don't have a rail machined into the slide to accommodate a red dot. Most Sigs and the Range Officer don't - at least to my knowledge. Are you planning on adding something to the stock gun for the sight? If not, I'd look to other models.

I ran a red dot on one of my Glocks and hated it. I actually shot better without it. I had a hard time being able to bring up the gun and find the dot quickly. That may have something to do with the amount of time I gave to get used to it (maybe 3 range trips) and my astigmatism. That being said I used a Primary Arms Micro and a Vortex Venom, both were solid sights.
Hey man, thanks for the advise. I decided to go ahead and purchase the SA 1911 and forget about anything but the stock sites. I can shoot better with Red Dot sites and have them on a .22 and I too have that issue of acquiring the red dot in the screen.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

look at the Vortex or Burris sights as they have their mounting systems that fit the sight cuts already there.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 09:41 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics.../dp/B007VGY3TU

You can have it when you rip it from my cold, dead hands.........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page