Shot gun instructor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Shot gun instructor

I need some "professional" assistance. Missing way to many birds. I'm in the Pgh area but often in Fayette county. Bad habits and have never had anyone really provide guidance. Do occasionally shot sporting clays or just clay birds from a thrower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 07:38 PM
The Man

Getting an instructor will only help if you are willing to put the required time into shooting after taking lessons. Taking a lesson and then only shooting occasionally wont improve your shooting.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2017, 08:05 PM

I agree with Lost, you often times have to "start from scratch" so to speak. I took a skeet shooting class at Pitcairn-Monroeville Sportsman club a few years ago but I don't recall the name of the instructor or if they still offer the class. I'm pretty sure Nemacolin resort and Seven Springs have certified instructors in sporting clays but I'm sure it's not cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 02:14 AM

I find that shooting clays only helps so much.
there's a big difference between a bird flushing and yelling pull.
when i'm doing a lot of clay shooting for score it seems to effect my bird shooting negatively.
kinda like practicing golf to play ice hockey

everything I now do when shooting clays would probably get me detention with a skeet teacher
I shoot from the down position ,I ask to be surprised on the pull,distracted even.
I don't want to aim long everything is about shouldering while acquiring the target

over all the claybird is faster then any pheasant or grouse
for pheasants I feel trap is a bit more appropriate .
but skeet keeps you honest for grouse

but ultimately you do have to shoot

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks. I've got a 15 month old lab that is a hunting machine. Putting up pheasants that should easily be shot, but I've been missing horribly. Perhaps raising head to look at bird instead of looking down barrel and swinging etc. Frustrating. Reading some articles etc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

I understand Nemacolin does have some certified instructors. Only other place I know of for sure in PA. is Woodcock Hill in Benton. Glenn Baker is the guy who runs the place. He'll also check your gun fit etc. And you can drool over his stock of high end shotguns. They do have a website. FYI...about 75% of misses are caused by poor or inconsistent gun mount. Practicing your mount without even firing a shot can be helpful.

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:47 PM

I'll agree with Twisted, don't look at sporting clays. They may tout "real world" shots, but some of the stuff I've seen I might not even shoulder the gun if it were a real bird. A friend got me to shoot quite a bit a few years ago. It's a challenge, but that's about it.

Now trap on the other hand is all about mechanics. Mount the gun, paying attention to the bird, swing, lead... Once I started shooting trap my ammo usage went to nothing. I went from burning through 4+ boxes of shells out on opening of dove to having a limit in under 2. The last time I went duck hunting two years ago I bagged 5 birds for 8 shots, and two of those were finishing shots. Grouse are still a bit of a challenge. Those little buggers seem to know exactly where to fly to catch you off guard or put just enough between you. Pheasant are just a snore to me, sorry. My granddad's Winchester Mod12 and some #6 heavy game loads are murder on ditch chickens.

One thing I noticed after shooting trap was how slow and deliberate I started getting when shooting at game. I always thought I had to rush, to get the gun up and shoot. I heard someone once say "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast." I heard that and thought it summed up what I had found in my progression. Now I worry more about getting the gun up right and swinging properly then shooting. Heck, I am probably one of the few people you will ever see that goes waterfowl hunting with a double barrel. Why do I need a slick auto that can pump out 3 rounds fast, when I can go BOOM, splash?

A suggestion for learning proper form would be to search out any local trap clubs. If they are a good club with good guys they will give you pointers as you shoot. But watch out if you have an addictive personality, you'll get sucked in. That's what happened to me. I went to buff up before dove season and guys started giving me pointers. Next thing you know I was shooting 100-150 rounds a week in the summer.

Remember, shoot straight and shoot often.
Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Gil Ash has some great online tutorial videos. Might not be what you are looking for but worth a look.

to warm barrels and cold noses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page