.357MAG WHITETAIL LOAD - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

.357MAG WHITETAIL LOAD

This is going to be my first year taking my pistol with me to the deer woods and wanting to pick the minds of everyone that has been there before. I have a .357mag in a Ruger GP100 with a 6.25" barrel. Wanting to know what factory loads you have had luck with. GOOD AND BAD

WOOD - a renewable resource
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Banned

Re: .357MAG WHITETAIL LOAD

One year I had a mature doe facing me twenty five yards away. She saw me so I knew there would be no broadside shot. I clicked back the hammer on my Dan Wesson m.15 .357 and fired an American Eagle 158 grain soft nose straight into her brisket. She really wouldn't have gone anywhere but momentum carried her down the mountain. It was an invigorating drag back up. It turns out I found the bullet lodged in her hipbone so the penetration was awesome. I shot a spike one time with a Federal 180 grain hollow point and the penetration was dismal and required follow up shots. I say avoid hollow points.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Frequent Contributor

Remington 165-grain Core-Lokt JHP
They are for hunting,check out the Remington site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 04:05 PM

I have personally only used the .357 to finish off 2 deer..Both were close range head shots. However, my father took a few with a S&W Model 19 with the 6" barrel.

His load, and the one I still use, Is a 158 grain Speer jacketed soft point over a heavy charge of H-110 with a CCI large pistol Magnum primer. We never recovered a bullet from a deer but judging by the internal damage, I would say they gave excellent expansion along with full penetration on broadside shots.

As for factory loads, I would try a few different brands of jacketed softs and see which one shoots best in your particular gun.

Could even try some of the heavy cast bullets like Buffalo Bore and some other companies market.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

I took my first handgun deer last year. I used a S&W 686 with the same load mentioned above, a max charge of H110, CCI magnum primer, and a Hornady XTP bullet. If I were to take handgun hunting more seriously, I would give a hardcast 180 grain bullet a try.
Will
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Yea I would really like to try that load, I will just have to get someone to reload them for me since I haven't started reloading yet.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:03 AM

I do not think you need to reload to get these. Federal makes a factory load and also groups like Garrett and Grizzly might have a .357 in their line-up.

My factory load is a Remington 180 gr. semi lead hollow point. I also have some of the 165 grain hunting load mentioned above. My handloads now are a healthy dose of Lil'Gun and a 180 gr. Hornady XTP
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:34 AM
The Man

XTP's are hard to beat in any caliber for the price. I have yet to hear of one coming apart. Either 158's to 180's will do fine with a good charge of powder that the gun likes.

Hard cast bullets will put two holes through a deer almost every time. It won't have the shock of a hollow point though. IMO hard cast bullets are great for game larger than deer. Deer normally aren't that hard to kill if hit properly. Just don't use the cheap hollowpoints.

Venison - The other fast food
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Yea that would be great if I can get that as factory ammunition, I think I will definetly give those a try first

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hornadys 158 grn XTPs bullets actually come in 2 different type of bullets. the XTP is standard, and will work best in the 800 to 1400 fps range, the XTPFP (flat point) was designed to work at higher speeds, say 1000 to 1700 fps range, and have a flat point so they can be loaded safely in lever guns. When i had my 10 inch barrel on the dan wesson, I always loaded the XTPFP because I didnt want to take the chance of jacked seperation, or have the bullett fly apart down range, but after taking a deer or 2 using the 6 in barrel, @ 1250 fps, I still load the XTPFP, at 1250 fps, it doesnt open up as fast, but has better penetration. Just in case i see a deer in the 200 pound range, I want 2 holes in it, better blood flow. I always wished that they would make a 140 grn HTPFP, they do in 125grn. 140 grn xtpfp would have a little faster vel, a little thinner jacket, for deer in the 100 to 150 pond range.
my 2 cents.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."
Wayne LaPierre 12/21/12

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page