Slugs for mossberg rifled barrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Slugs for mossberg rifled barrel

As the title says, I have a scoped 12ga rifled barrel Mossberg and just got it. So I'm looking for suggestions for rounds. I have seen smooth lead chunks, rifled slugs, and sabots. Is there something that will be accurate out to 100 yds? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 06:42 PM
Part of the Community

I shoot the hornady sst sabot slugs. Wait til they go on sale at dicks for about $8-9 a box and buy them up. I have a 25 year old mossberg 835 cantilevered setup. Works good!
duff1 and bobdoo like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 07:20 PM

Test a few different kinds and see what shoots best. Every rifle/shotgun is different.
bobdoo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 PM
New Arrival

I once had a rifled slug barrel for my 835 and the only slugs I could get to group was Remington copper solids...and that was after trying a bunch of different brands
bobdoo likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 02:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Rottweil Laser Plus, available from Slugs R Us
bobdoo likes this.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017, 03:09 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've owned mine for almost 20 years and have put a bunch of different ones down through her. The one thing I've found is that with the Mossberg 835, each one is different. What mine likes more than likely yours won't. Mine used to love the Barnes Expanders, on a rest at 100 I could cloverleaf them. But they aren't made anymore. Now I use the Hornady SST's, it's passable, but not as good as the Expanders were. Then again I can't remember the last shot I had over 50 yards and at that range they are very very deadly.

Since using my 835, I only have had 2 deer take a step after being hit. One was with a Copper Solid the first year they came out, for some reason it keyholed on me, that was a long track job, the other one took five steps then flopped, that was with a SST. Most just drop.
bobdoo likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 AM

I'll echo the comments above. Slug guns can be finicky with ammo. At one point or another, I've tried most brands of sabots out of my 500, with varying success. The best shooters for me were Lightfields and the Hornady SST's. The ballistics are a little underwhelming for the Lightfields due to the weight of the slug (1.25 oz/545gr), so I made the switch the SST's for better performance.

Because your gun has a rifled barrel, it is recommended that you shoot saboted slugs. While they are much cheaper, standard non-saboted slugs and rifled slugs will not perform nearly as well, and according to some have the potential to damage the rifling in your barrel.
bobdoo likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

One of the positives of slugs is they usually come in just 5 in a box, plenty to see how they group from your gun. Buy a box of each different one and see how they shoot from your gun. Pick the best grouping then buy a few boxes to sight it in.

It has also been found that 2 3/4" tend to shoot better than 3", so don't think 3" is the perfect answer, but I would play with both sizes to find what works best for you.
bobdoo likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 08:47 AM

use the search feature on this forum and enter "Brenneke Green Lightning" then click the "Show Posts" my post should come up explaining the Brenneke green lightning slugs, they shoot great in rifled barrels or smoothbore. its the only slug you will need. maybe this link will work too.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/57-s...moothbore.html

its the 7th thread down and goes from there, its long but good. explains everything i went thru. you do not have to try all the slugs on the market.
bobdoo likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

FYI, had my 835 for nearly 20 years and I now shoot the Hornady SST with great accuracy.

Chaos USMC
bobdoo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page