Rem Spartan Shotguns - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Rem Spartan Shotguns

A couple years back I bought a Spratan 210 SxS in a 16 gauge and am kind of happy, kind of not with the purchase.

The good - bought for $350 new, choke tubes, ejectors, single trigger, barrel selector, cheap enough to bust brush and not worry about the gun. What else could you ask for in a shotgun, It's got all of the features, right?

Bad - the trigger is very sharp and cut me up pretty good (fixed with black tape)
heavy
the safety slide slides over a small ball, the ball had a ring of rust around it and the safety would not go off on the first flush of the day yesterday (drop of oil when done hunting should solve the problem)
the wood is horrible (already fading big time)

Anyone else have any experience with Spartans, any problems, or any praises?

I'LL KEEP MY GUNS, FREEDOM, & MONEY. You keep the "Change."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM

Re: Rem Spartan Shotguns

They are junk.... I'll just leave it at that!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Junk why? What is your experience?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 01:04 PM

Some double guns cost $5,000, yours cost $350. Subtle hint. You can't get a really beat-up Ithaca double for $350.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It costs more to build a gun with 2 barrels and have it reliable. You can cut costs by having it made in a country with cheap labor and cut corners in the finish and refinement areas and maybe even on design and materials.

What you get is a cheapened version that isn't very reliable.

Regulating 2 barrels is expensive.

Yours may go bang.

If you ever get the chance to shoot one that is even in the $800 range (which is still dirt cheap for a sxs) you will notice the difference. However, once you get above the $3000 grand mark, most of the difference between guns is in the artistry of the engraving and grade of the wood.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drgnarr
Junk why? What is your experience?
Stocks cracking, extractors bending, rough triggers all of that on guns less than 2 years old. I will never waste any money on a cheaply made over under. I can not understand what ever happened to Remington. They use to be known for quality products and any more all of there firearms are just cheaply made or overpriced scrap metal.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Sage

The Spartan line was imported, as well as the Mauser-type rifles and several other shotguns sold under the Remington name. The Mausers were made in what was Yugoslavia, some of the shotguns were made in Russia, some in Turkey.

I think they all have now been dropped and are no longer sold as Remingtons? Most of them were formerly imported by KBI in Harrisburg and sold as Charles Dalys, before Remington stuck their nose in it.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:36 PM

I bought a Spartin (Baikal) O/U several years ago with the intent of beating that gun like a red headed step-child. And, I have! When it breaks, I'll contact Numrich and see if there is a market for parts and take it from there. I have heard that gunsmiths won't touch them. I have droped it down hills, in mud and water, drageed it along the ground while flushing grouse in heavy cover and never once blinked an eye. It's worked every time and I know that someday it will fail. Until then, that little 20 ga just keeps on ticking.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought a 20ga Baikal about 5 years ago to use when training my dogs. I wanted something cheep that I would not mind getting scratched and beat up. It has never let me down yet. I use it all summer for training and in the fall for my "truck" gun and bad weather hunting. It doesn't have the fit and finish of the high priced guns but I have found mine to be very reliable. When it was new it was very stiff to open but after a few cases of shells it works a lot smoother. I have a lot of shotguns that are higher priced that I cant shoot any better with.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2009, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

It works, has some flaws, but like stated a few times, I don't feel bad busting brush with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page