When do you move sights? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

When do you move sights?

I've shot over 200 rds through my Glock G40 (long slide 10mm) now, and I am consistently shooting left of POA. I've thought about moving the sights, but decided to focus on form first.

The "wheel" tells me left POI is a result of too little trigger finger, but I'm about out of finger to put across the trigger. Getting more of my finger across the trigger did help....it did move the shots to the right from where they were, but it doesn't bring them fully to POA.

When I see deviation in elevation, I can always track that to a grip/form issue, but the pistol seems to consistently shoot left for me.

When do you move the sights, and when do you dig in and try to fix it with form?

I've actually been shooting into a berm at 50 yards for form work.....working on developing some sort of consistency to start focusing on what I'd call an anchor in archery....how my grip is on the gun, points of contact to make sure I'm making, etc so that my grip/form can be repeated shot to shot.

When I'm making what I call as super clean shots...not squeezing on the shot, not anticipating, but good, clean, shots....they land bang on for elevation, but at 50 yards, they're hitting 4-5" left of POA consistently. A good 5 shot string into the berm today at 50 yards was staying in 6". I'm no competition pistol shooter, so for me that's an improvement. But consistently to the left. I know I could adjust the sights and bring them on target.....just not sure when it's time to do that. I don't know what else to look for in form...but am open to suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Banned

At least you have sights to move. When I shoot my LCP, I tend to shoot low and right. Since this gun has fixed sights, I just aim a little high left and that tends to bring things into perspective so to speak.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 08:22 PM

I would say that if you've done all you can do in regards to form it may be time to move. In my experience(over 1500 rounds fired with an instructor watching) you may never totally rid yourself of a possible bad habit. Maybe after tens of thousands of rounds you may. I've shot a good bit, both in my profession and for fun and I've never totally lost my flinch....corrected it a great deal, but never totally lost it. Others may disagree.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Blue Bird, check this out....

https://goo.gl/images/l0ua73

It may help you with the LCP.

Marcus99, that's kinda where I'm at. What I also realized is that I do the same thing....groups in the same place....with my Springfield Armory XDs.

Looks like it's more range time for now. The deviation is not terrible. At defensive distances, I'm not going to miss center mass because of this alone. At 15 yards, I'm hitting about 2-3" to the left, so I don't see a problem hitting the target if I need to use a handgun for defense. I just want to get my head on straight and shoot better.

I got a new-to-me turret press, which has really sped up ammo production for me, so it's easier to shoot the 10-mil now without breaking the bank.

I scored a 250-rd brick of 9mm ammo for 50 bucks at Cabela's on sale, so that's feeding the XDs for now and producing brass for reloading later whenever I decide I'm ready to do the work rather than just pay for ammo. 9mm ammo is still cheap enough that I can't really justify the time at the reloading bench plus the time spent shopping around for components to get the price marginally cheaper than bulk factory ammo. For 10-mil, it's a no brainer.

Last edited by tdd; 09-06-2017 at 08:28 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:07 AM

since the "wheel" tells you that you have to much or to little trigger finger i guess you are right handed since you are shooting to the left. it could also be that you are squeezing your finger tips while applying trigger pull or pushing / anticipating the recoil or no follow thru.

it could also be the result of uneven hand pressure on the gun or not pulling the trigger straight to the rear.

i doubt these are the problem since you stated that you are also shooting left at 15 yards. what about 7 or 10 yards ? still left......move the sights

what about your grip ?

or
(grip technique starts at the 10 minute mark)

what type of target are you using ? B-27 TQ-21 silhouettes or shoot and see style bullseye targets ?

forget the silhouettes and go to a bullseye target...aim small miss small.

concentrate on the front sight if that sucker is slightly to the left especially at 50 yards your shots are going way left. why 50 yards for form work ? thats to far, way to far.

treat it like form practice for archery, start close and work your way back to find the distance where the shots start going to the left.

hope this helps

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Actually, the reason I went to 50 was to really see what's happening. And to see what happens as I modify grip/technique. It's instant feedback. Plus it's where the berm happens to be at the range where I shoot. I'd have been fine with 25 or 15 if that's what it had.

I've worked on form with archery, too...and where I find a difference is that I don't want to lose arrows. Shooting far increases that risk, which increases anxiety and target panic. I shot close to remove that fear and avoid the anxiety issue.

Zero issues with that with the handgun, since I'm gonna lose the bullet either way, lol.

I really can see improvement from shooting into that bare berm. There's bits of broken claybirds and shale bits on the berm that make outstanding and small targets. The bare dirt gives instant shot placement feedback.
bohunr likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 09:42 AM

sounds good. i think its time to move the sights.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 10:20 AM
Part of the Community

Try dry firing and pay close attention to the sights (FOCUS ON THE FRONT SIGHT). If trigger pull is disturbing the sight picture you should see it and will need to work on trigger pull. If the sight picture is good, then move sights.

Support 2A. Because a dog without teeth has no bite.
Being married is work. Work is management and labor. We all know how well management and labor get along.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat18 View Post
Try dry firing and pay close attention to the sights (FOCUS ON THE FRONT SIGHT). If trigger pull is disturbing the sight picture you should see it and will need to work on trigger pull. If the sight picture is good, then move sights.
I've been working on that. MOST of the time I have the front sight solid on the striker fall. Not all. Most.

I want to mess with the support hand a bit. I think there may be some "slop" between the palm and the grip of the gun....something to experiment with, anyway.

Thank God I handload...I don't know how people shoot a handgun in any quantity and don't go broke otherwise.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Blue Bird, check this out....

https://goo.gl/images/l0ua73

It may help you with the LCP.
Interesting, I'm going to use this next time I go to the range to see if I notice improvement.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page