460 S&W owner impressions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

460 S&W owner impressions?

Looking for your impressions of this hand cannon. I think I like the versatility of various power cartridges it can fire. Looking at a 5 inch but the 3.5 inch is tempting for woods carry when I'm carrying a long gun for other hunting, so not interested in a longer barrel cause I probably won't hunt with the handgun alone. Want it for the cool factor and as a hunting backup. I'm aware it is not a light weapon. I shoot 44 mags no problem, I know this has more recoil in the 454 and 460, but it looks to be manageable....from youtube anyway. Who has 'em?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:52 AM

I would not get a 3.5". Too short for anything other than personal defense within very close distance. I've shot the full sized 460, but not in a 3.5" barrel. I have shot the Ruger Super Alaskan in .454 which is similar and I found it to be not as bad(recoil) as many people think it would be. I have a 7.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in .454 and I have never wanted a shorter barrel, or a more powerful cartridge, but to each his own. Get the 5" and I think you'll be happy that you did. .45 colts with a 5" barrel will be a great gun to plink with at the range.
northparklake2 likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

That's was I was thinking, doubt I'll shoot the 460s, and probably use the 454 as a heavy load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 02:58 PM

Like I said I have a Ruger .454. Had it for several years. I could probably count on both hands the number of .454 rounds that I have fired out of it. I reload .45 colts for plinking at the range and I load hot .45 colts for deer hunting. Those big boys are too expensive to shoot regularly.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Yes ammo for these big boomers is expensive for sure. Looked at the ruger redhawk 5.5 inch in 454 but don't like what they did to that barrel. Looks like an alaskan with a round barrel added, don't know what they were thinking. The alaskan seems at least an inch too short at 2.5. That leaves the 3.5 or 5 inch smith. Really like the looks of that 3.5 performance center smith though. The 5 inch smith is also ported which should help with recoil with heavier loads. Diamond D chest holster for the lucky one either way. Anyone else??
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I believe the 5 incher it is! Thanks for the input Marcus.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:42 AM

I think you'll be very happy with your decision. 5" by no means is too big to carry, but is much more useful IMO than a 3.5". Let us know how it feels when you touch off one of those 460's
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

454s first and at some point the 460s just for curiosity and because......well you just have to. Should be in my grubby little hands next week.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 PM

go mid way get the six you can use it for defensive and use it too hunt
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 10:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to BrowningFan369 Send a message via Yahoo to BrowningFan369
A while ago I was talking to a rep from S & W who happened to be at the local gun-shop. I was asking his opinion on the S & W 500, he told me to look into the 460, saying it was a much more versatile round, with a good variety of bullet weights and in his opinion better ballistics. He also said to go with a longer barrel for the better performance, 6 inch minimum. I'd figure I'd try and shoot both before buying which still hasn't happened yet for a variety of reasons.
Freepistol likes this.

Introduce a kid to the outdoors.It's addictive.
NSCA Level II Instructor
Paragon School of Sporting Professional Associate
NRA, DU,
Pheasants Forever

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page