Steel shot in a Ithaca 37 with Polychoke? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Steel shot in a Ithaca 37 with Polychoke?

In consideration of the environment, I was thinking about using non toxic shot for hunting at State gamelands. There is a lot of shooting on these grounds and I was just thinking that non toxic shot would be a good idea.

I have a used model 37 with a Polychoke installed. The serial number indicates that the gun was made in 1948. Will steel shot affect the gun or the polychoke? If I can use non toxic shot, what type of shell should I use? I am hoping that it is as effective as the Remington Express Long Range shells I usually use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:37 PM
Frequent Contributor

Here's a bump for you.

There will be much more knowledgeable people along I'm sure. But, personally I would never shoot steel through that gun. There are bismuth alternatives that I would look at if I was dead set on no lead but they are expensive.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 PM

Also no "expert" but on a gun of that age I would not use steel. I have a 1970's Charles Daley 20g O/U that I take for ducks on occasion I use Bismuth in that. There are other varieties now but that was the only thing back then and it kills ducks better than my 12g with steel. Now I'm sure some of that is I'm limiting my shots to "sure things" with the Bismuth.

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?” Douglas Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 PM

it depends on the polychoke.
some are made to use with steel.
48 ithacas had thin walled hammer forged barrels.i've been told by an ex head gunsmith from the service dept. they can handle steel,but thru no more restriction then mod choke.
as for the poly , I don't know how an old poly would handle steel ,even with open choke settings .
there must have been a reason to make a model for steel use

that said ,I wouldn't used steel in any of my old ithacas

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 PM

I'd use bismuth also just to be on the safe side. I've shot it out of my old 37 20ga with fixed choke.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the advise. I'll look into the bismuth.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:16 AM

It's nice that your thinking about the environment. You didn't say what type of hunting your planning on doing. If it's small game use the lead. If your going to hunt waterfowl use the bismuth.

I happen to use steel in a few old guns and have no problem. My go to gun was made in the late 20's. A double barrel 16 and steel hasn't effected it. I don't shoot cases of shells maybe 3 boxes a year at most. If your dead set on using steel crank the poly to cylinder setting and have a go.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

Costly but effective, Tungsten Matrix buy KENT in #5 shot will do it all. I bought quite a supply when it was priced under $20.00/box and still have some remaining 10 years later. I would not recommend Bismuth. If not near water I would use lead (don't take any duck shots). Your small addition of a few lead rounds will have minimal environmental impact. DO NOT PUT STEEL THROUGH THE 37.

Don't shoot brown ducks!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a bird dog and hunt pheasants in the gamelands. There are a lot of hunters going for the stocked birds and I was thinking that the lead shot will be a problem. If not now, maybe in the future. That is why I was looking for a lead alternative, but I didn't know much about them.

TEALHNTR - Why do you not recommend Bismuth?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:30 PM

I applaud you for wanting to use a cleaner alternative. I've often considered the switch myself in certain instances. I had a buddy who used to hunt rabbits with #7.5 or #8 shot target loads. The rabbits would be so riddled with lead that it often concerned me to eat any that he had killed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page