cantilever mounts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

cantilever mounts

Ive never owned a slug gun, but i do alot of archery hunting in southern pa and now maryland. well all the places that i archery hunt in MD are shotgun only, so its time to buy my first slug gun. well first off, im not sure which slug gun to purchase and secondly, ive seen some of the guns have Cantilever scope mounts. what are your thoughts on these mounts? do they hold zero well or do you need a top dollar scope the help hold zero? just looks to me like the mount can give too much and slowly throw the scope off zero. give me some feedback please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
The Man

Re: cantilever mounts

actually the mount helps from keeping the scope come off zero. having the scope hooked to the barrel keeps it more acurate and keeps the scope from getting nocked of zero from the recoil.

if your not looking to spend alot get a mossberg or a remington 870.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
The Man

I like cantilevered mounts. The scope always stays true to the barrel. I;ve has a cheap 4x Bushnell on my Mossberg 500 pump for the past 8 years or so, and have never had to touch a knob.

Depending on how much you want to spend will dictate what you buy. I have no complaints with my Mossberg combo gun. It came with two barrrels, and a interchangable comb for the stock.

Only thing I dislike is that massive recoil. May want to try a 20 gauge. The kick about like a 270. A 12 gauge will knock your retina's loose.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
I like cantilevered mounts. The scope always stays true to the barrel. I;ve has a cheap 4x Bushnell on my Mossberg 500 pump for the past 8 years or so, and have never had to touch a knob.

Depending on how much you want to spend will dictate what you buy. I have no complaints with my Mossberg combo gun. It came with two barrrels, and a interchangable comb for the stock.

Only thing I dislike is that massive recoil. May want to try a 20 gauge. The kick about like a 270. A 12 gauge will knock your retina's loose.
I guess my 870 must have an awesome recoil pad because the kick doesnt bother me that bad. its loud though and ill probably scope my eye when im excited and taking a shot and not holding down anough.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Banned

First off, get a pump, that way you can use it in PA should you need to. (There are a few places in PA you can use a semi for deer.)

I have the Hastings canti-lever barrel for my 870. It doesnt pattern worth crap. Have a bushnell shotgun scope on it, supposed to be designed for recoil. SO I dont know if it is just the scope or what. And I am using a Caldwell Lead Sled to sight in, which works awesome for all my other guns, including my 300 Ultra.

As for recoil, yes, it is HUGE in my 870.

Also, most places that allow slugs also allow muzzleloaders, so you may also want to consider a nice in-line.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:12 AM
The Man

The recoil pad on my Mossberg looks to be ventilated rubber. I think it was made out of the same stuff they make ashtrays from. Rock hard.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Cantilever scope mount is the only type of scope mount I would even consider for a shotty. I'll second the 20ga option too, 12's are ridiculous on the recoil end. A decent mossberg combo gun will run around 300 I think. I still have the POS scope that came with my mossy 500 about a dozen years ago and it shoots very well.

The comment about the hastings barrel not grouping - have you tried the hastings slugs with it John? I'm only asking b/c i spoke in depth with the guy who is running Hastings ammo division and he stated that his slugs were designed around that barrel so i'd imagine it should shoot very well., Just my .02

In closing -

- get a pump action (or a lever...there are a couple nice Puma lever shotguns out there)
- try to avoid 12ga unless you are very tolerant of heavy recoil. A 20ga is more than sufficient and has about 25%less recoil IIRC
- get a rifled barrel if you desire sub 3" accuracy at 100 yards out of your gun, and then commit to getting that accuracy by trying every brand/load available until you find one that shoots well. There are many threads on this forum on this very topic
- if 5" accuracy at 50 yards is sufficient for you, a smoothbore barrel with iron sights would work, be a little cheaper both to buy, and to feed. Foster slugs will run about 3 bucks a box or so. Sabot slugs (required for rifled barrels) run about 3 bucks per SLUG.
- replace your recoil pad with a Limbsaver or similar. You will not fully appreciate this until you shoot the gun without one...so do that first
- there's alot to be said about carrying around a lightweight single shot smoothbore with iron sites and punkin balls...sometimes I wish I didn't have my pump gun.
- I would NEVER exchange an inline for a slug gun - too long to reload and with the accuracy of smoothbore guns, a follow up shot will be on order sometime and I'd rather be able to follow up quickly but that is just my preference.
Welcome to the darkside...slug hunting just has a different feel about it.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Part of the Community

I had a Mossberg 500 cantilever and now an 835 with. No other way to go in my opinion. When deer season overlaps pheasant and I'm bored I can switch out the barrels at the car without worrying about the scope.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Part of the Community

Last year I bought an 870 Supermag combo. Came with the field barrel and a rifled slug barrel with iron sites. My brother bought a 870 slug gun with the cantilever mouted barrel but wanted the iron sites. So I swaped them out and mounted a reddot on mine. Shoots like a dream never shot it past 50 yards but I get at least 1 inch groups at 50 yards takin it out today and goign to try for the 100 yard target. Like they said Recoil is heavy but I can shoot about 2 boxes of the SST slugs or the rem copper sabots before I start to flinch. and thats around 25-30 bucks for the two boxes so thats enough shooting for me. The only thing I dislike about it is how high the scope sits. I ordered one of the remington sure shot stocks that have the high comb to raise your head up. Should be here today so ill let you know as soon as we get it on. In my honest opinion you cant go wrong with the 870 slug gun with the cantilever mount.

Ken
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 01:23 PM
The Man

The mossberg combo comes with a removeable combs for both field barrel, and slug barrel. Kinda ugly, but effective.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page