Fixed Barrel Slug Guns - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to adudeuknow
Fixed Barrel Slug Guns

Now, I have my heart set on the Ithica Deerslayer III once I get the extra loot but I wanted to hear some opinions on some good slug guns that fit the description of this post's title. Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot folks!!!!

Kids!!! Get your camo on. We are going to Cabelas!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 06:24 AM
The Man

Re: Fixed Barrel Slug Guns

I have the Ithaca and one nice thing is you can mount a scope right on top of the receiver like a Remington 760, no cantilever mount or wrap around mount like you must do on a Remington 870..Gun groups as good as a 30/30 at 100 yards...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to BrowningFan369 Send a message via Yahoo to BrowningFan369

I have the Thompson Center Encore, 12ga, fully rifled, 3 in mag, kicks like a mule but it is very accurate. I also have a Browning A-Bolt, synthecic, I just picked it up and haven't had a chance to shoot it.

Introduce a kid to the outdoors.It's addictive.
NSCA Level II Instructor
Paragon School of Sporting Professional Associate
NRA, DU,
Pheasants Forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys! i think i am going to end up with the Ithica....i know it's pricey but i believe it is top quality and is going to be a gun i will have until i die. im confident i wont be dissappointed.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I shoot a Savage 210 bolt action. it is the best.

"The only senseless killing, would be the killing of me"
-Matthew Zerby
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-03-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

what makes it the best? if you dont mind helping a guy learn because i am anything but an expert in regards to slug guns.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 AM
The Man

The Savage from what I understand is a good gun. It is a slug gun. Not a rifle. It's not going to shoot MOA. Neither are most pump guns.

I would buy what feels the most comportable that you can afford. I didn't think it was possible, but last week I saw some 1.5" groups at 50 yards with a 20 gauge mossberg.

Just never know.

Venison - The other fast food
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Sorry about the short answer I should have explained more. The Savage 210 is a bolt action rifle that happens to be chambered in 12 ga 3'' slug. There are a lot of people that get one hole groups at 100 yards with the 210. it is a strong reliable action with great accuracy. I think the newer ones have accu-trigger too. It also is rifled to work with high velocity slugs like the Hornady SST. there are a few down sides however. It is truly designed to shoot a 3'' shell, and you will need to buy a 2 piece base set and use high rings if you want to shoot 2 3/4'' shells. The factory base is designed to eject a 3'' shell the 2 3/4'' shells hang up on the base. if you put the 2 piece base on the 2 3/4'' shells will hit the scope and fall back in the action. So you need the high rings. the other down side is it kicks . . . hard. I put on a limbsaver slip on. some like the faster action of a pump or auto but I hunt with a bolt rifle when I rifle hunt so I am used to it. You can also usually get into a used 210 fairly good. You will find that most people will talk very badly about the 210, they will tell you how it is not a "rifle", just ask these folks where their 210 is. they don't have one and they don't know. I don't have any experience with the new deer slayers aside from seeing them at SHOT last winter, the older ones were great. Ithica is a company in trouble they have had a long history of in and out of business. I hope this time they stick around this time.
They way I see it a slayer III, any Remington, Mossberg, the Encore and even the H&R are all fine guns and will serve you well, but the 210 is the Cadillac of slug guns.
I can hit a 8 - 10" steel plate all day at 150 yards with the 210 and an SST, maybe all the rest of the slug guns can do that too, I personally don't know I only own the Savage.

-Matthew Zerby
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 AM
Frequent Contributor

one more thing to muddy the water more.
the new Savage 220 is apparently getting incredible accuracy. Also a lot of guys are going to the 20 ga for a smaller softer kicking gun. I also hear it is ballistically better then a 12 ga slug.

-Matthew Zerby
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

thank you very much for the explanation....i will look into them for sure.

one thing i do know about the deerslayer III from two people i have talked to that have them is their incredible accuracy. they were able to duplicate the incredible groups at 200 yards just like on ithica's website. i was pretty impressed to hear that, but from the sound of it, the savage could probably do that too.....and i love bolt action rifles!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page