Slugs in smoothbore - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Slugs in smoothbore

What is more accurate?
Using rifled slugs with improved cylinder choke ?
Using sabot slugs with a rifled choke?
This pertains only to smoothbore shotguns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had no luck with sabot slugs out of rifled choke.
I would go with rifled slugs, cheaper too.
This was with a 12 gauge 870 20 inch barrel.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:56 AM

Usually an IMP. CYL. or open choke works best. However, as is the case with all shot gun groups and patterns one must spent some time at the range to be certain of the results and of course different mfg. loads will produce different results.

After due diligence of testing for groups one needs to test for accuracy at a given range and determine ones kill zone and keep shot to that distance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Banned

We tested some rifled slugs (forster slugs aka pumpkin balls) out of a single shot 20 gauge that had a fixed modified choke. This cheap gun believe it or not would put 3 shots into a baseball at 25 yards with regularity.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:45 PM

I got a single shot 12 ga. Ithaca Buckbuster in 1968 as a gift. I lived in IN back then. It was chamber for 3" shells and at the time I didn't even know there were 3" 12 ga. ammo. I was hunting with paper hulls in my bird, rabbit, squirrel and waterfowl gun.

My buddies with their more expensive pump and semi auto shotguns shooting slugs made fun of me until we hit our make shift range with the Buckbuster. Using Winchester 2 3/4" shells and a good rest I could consistently put 3 rounds in a 3-4" group at 65 yards. None of their guns would do that. The down side was the recoil which gave me great discomfort after about six shots on the range.

However, I took a total of 26 whitetail while hunting in IN, MI, OH and PA. I never had the desire to shoot a 3" round in that gun.

I still have the gun stored away with the dime I used to set the elevation still under the rear sight. Most people laugh when I show them the gun and tell my story.
Bates likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My Remington 870 Magnum, using a modified choke tube, shoots great groups with Breneke 2 3/4" slugs. Topped with a 1.5x5 scope and sighted in at 75 yds. Any deer presenting a shot at 0 - 100yds is mine.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:33 PM

forget everything you have been told or read about trying different slugs in different guns as each gun shoots slugs differently. i went thru that process back in 2010 when i bought a remington 870 in 12 ga. i even called remington and asked what remington brand slug shot the best out of an 870 cantilevered rifled barrel, they gave the standard reply, "we dont know" you have to try different brands to see what works best for you.

what the heck, they make the gun, dont they know what works best...DANG

i called, Federal, Winchester, and of course Remington....i didnt even think about Brenneke until a friend of mine mentioned them, never heard of them before.

i called Brenneke and what they told me shocked me, they gave me the contact info for their PA factory rep "Charlie" he asked what gun was i using, i said a remington 870 cantilevered rifled barrel. he said to use their "green lightning rifled slug" i said dont i need to shoot a sabot out of a rifled barrel ?

he said you can if you want, they cost more but you dont need it. i took his advice and OMG he was spot on and i never looked back

(continued below)

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 08:36 PM

here is the letter i wrote to "Charlie" from Brenneke:

Charlie,
Since you are the Brenneke factory rep for Pennsylvania I just had to tell you that your advice was totally accurate, realistic and honest. I have always wanted to use a slug gun for deer hunting but had always been told that in order to shoot one accurately; I would have to try different brands of slugs to see which one was the most accurate for my shotgun.
I was also told that if I had a smoothbore I would have to use rifled slugs and I would have to use sabots out of a rifled shotgun barrel. My quest for an accurate slug began when I purchased a 12 gauge Remington 870 with a rifled cantilever slug barrel. I asked my friends what they shot, what kind of groups they were getting at what yardage, etc…
I also checked several of the hunting forums on the internet. Basically everyone and every forum told me the same thing; try different brands and different types of slugs that each brand offered. Since I have a rifled barrel I would have to stay with the more expensive sabots as rifled slugs would not be accurate out of my set up. I called Remington, Federal, Winchester, and asked them what sabot shot the best for them in their tests. I thought I would get the best answer from Remington. Each company’s answer was the same: every gun / barrel is different you will have to try different sabots to see which one is the best for your gun.
As you can see, this is going to get expensive real quick. Well I tried different types from each company including Lightfield, that’s 4 companies, different types of sabots and slugs from each one. Not one brand was as accurate as I would have liked even at 50 yards, I was getting 2 to 4inch groups at 50 yards and almost twice that at 100 yards, I didn’t know what to do.
Finally another friend, Pat Baker, suggested “Brenneke”. I called Brenneke, they gave me your number and you were the only person in my quest for an accurate round out of my shotgun that told me what I needed to use from the start. You suggested the Brenneke Green lightning 12 gauge rifled slug out of my rifled barrel, you told me that it would work, I didn’t need an expensive sabot and I should be able to hold a 3 inch group at 100 yards if I did my part, well…..
I placed my trust in what you said and ordered the Green lightning rifled slugs. When I got to the range I couldn’t believe what was happening. The rounds started going where I wanted them to as I was sighting in. I actually passed your expectations of a 3 inch group at 100 yards. I shot a 3 round group at 100 yards that measured 1 x 2 inches that group was a little high so I dialed it down and shot a 2 round group that measured 1 x 1 inch at 100 yards (see photo) I quit shooting after that as I was satisfied and my shoulder had enough for one day.
Let’s fast forward now to the opening day of deer season in Pennsylvania, long story short version. I shot this 17 inch 8 point at 105 paces (see photo) while bracing the shotgun against the side of tree. This buck acted different than the other deer I had shot in the past, it acted like it actually got hit by lightning, (Green Lightning) it was weird and hard to describe but this buck didn’t run, and it didn’t fall over, it was liked it died to fast to do anything but stand there, from what I could see through the scope I swear its eyes were closed finally it toppled over.
I can’t thank you enough for the advice you gave me. I have been telling all my friends and those on several internet hunting forums to save your money, quit searching, and just shoot Brenneke. They work in smoothbore and rifled barrels; I don’t ever plan on switching. Regardless of the weather all my deer are getting hit with lightning, Green lightning from Brenneke.

attached are photos of the group i shot using the green lightning rifled slugs in a rifled barrel not a smoothbore and my buck

forget it, just by brenneke green lightning and dont look back, they are so devastating the Alaskan game wardens use them in their shotguns for bear and they get some big bear in Alaska

smoothbore or rifled barrel, they work the same and will not "lead" up the barrel, they have a hard coating on the slug that prevents leading the barrel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brenneke 1.JPG (100.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Brenneke Buck 2010.jpg (715.4 KB, 16 views)

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 10:21 PM
The Man

Bohunr

That is impressive.

I have an Ithaca 37 with the Deerslayer barrel. It is smooth bore and with Foster slugs it shoots -6" groups at 100 with most make slugs.

I also have a Savage 220f. It is a dedicated slug gun with a rifled barrel. It shoots tighter than some of my rifles. If someone wanted a dedicated slug gun they should look at the 220f.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 09:22 AM

my first three rounds went high, adjusted the scope and fired two more, that was all i wanted to shoot

then i got one of those limbsaver shooting pads that you wear, can shoot slugs all day long...honestly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page