Choking - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Choking

Well, I don't know if this is in the right place so if its not, somebody please move it to the right place. I have 2 H&R 12 ga single shots that I would like to revamp and modify. By modify I mean I wanna cut there barrels down to 18 1/2" I believe that they have a full choke on them currently, they don't say and aren't threaded. If I cut them off will I be able to run slugs through them without the threat of them blowing up in my face? Next question is this. How easy is it to cut a shotgun barrel? Any help on the second question would be appreciated.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 01:00 AM

Re: Choking

Most fixed choke guns are only choked at the last few inches of the barrel. If you are going to cut it down then most likely you are going to open it up which would be ok for slugs. Yopu would have to mic the end of the barrel after you cut it down to know the restriction.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 08:52 AM
The Man

Take it to Economy Gunsmithing and have them cut them. They shouldn't charge you an arm and a leg to do so.....call to first check what the price is....

Not sure what the State/Federal regs are on an 18.5" shotgun barrel but I think anything shorter than 20" on a shotgun may cause an issue....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:16 PM

Why not have a knowledgable gunsmith check the barrel thickness and see if he can ream and thread it for interchangable chokes? It may be that you don't have to lop of any of the muzzle to achieve what you want. Just a thought.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchesterbob
Take it to Economy Gunsmithing and have them cut them. They shouldn't charge you an arm and a leg to do so.....call to first check what the price is....

Not sure what the State/Federal regs are on an 18.5" shotgun barrel but I think anything shorter than 20" on a shotgun may cause an issue....

18.5 is the shortest barrel allowed by law on shotguns 16 on rifles. He is safe at 18.5. I see plenty of shotguns at the store with 18.5 barrels.

Why cut up two old guns? I bet you could stick a slug barel on them. The barrels on those single shots are usually interchangeble.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 04:04 PM
The Man

Just looked it up. Minimum shotgun barrel length is 18" in PA....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If your going to cut anything to minimum legal lenght, you better be sure your ruler is certified by weights and measures.
Why on earth would you want to go through all that trouble to shoot slugs out of a single shot, 18.5" shotgun barrel without sights?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I don't want to cut them down just for slugs. I mostly want to cut them down just because I can and think it would be cool.

The problem is that I don't know what I don't know.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have an old .410 that I want to turn into a pistol but the law man wont let me. I bet I could make it look really neat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page