41 Mag bullet choices - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

41 Mag bullet choices

I have some 225 flat point hard cast loaded up with 19gr of H110 and they shoot as well as I can make them in my Smith 57, which is to say the limiting factor is me, not the load or the gun.

I feel ok to shoot at deer out to 30-35 yards. Much more wouldn't be responsible on my part.

I have a few boxes of Nosler 210gr JHP hunting bullets I could load on H110....load data suggests somewhere between 19.5gr and 21gr charges, with Nosler 7's accuracy load listed at 19.9gr. Velocities are likely around 1500-ish for the JHP's at those charge ranges (6" barrel on the Smith).

Thoughts on one vs the other bullet for deer hunting purposes?

I killed a buck with my bow, and I carry all the time when hunting, so in rifle season I carry the Smith as an option if I have a chance at a doe up close. I may take my flintlock for longer shots, or just hunt with the revolver, I don't know.

Just curious if some other 41 shooters have any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 01:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not a .41 Magnum shooter, but I'm a .44 Magnum shooter. I use 240gr XTP's of a stout load of H110. I've taken several deer with this load out to 75 yards.

I have a scoped Super Redhawk and a scoped T/C Contender which are sighted dead on at 100 yards.

I have an iron sighted Super Blackhawk that I use when hunting areas where 50 yards would be a long shot. The SBH likes the 200gr XTP's better than the 240's.

Steve
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to BrowningFan369 Send a message via Yahoo to BrowningFan369
I have my S & W 657 sighted in with 210 jacketed soft points, it's been a while since I've shot it and I can't remember the bullet brand but I was consistently cutting the bull out to 50 yards with stock sights. I never tried anything heavier with the .41 mag. Years ago I did shoot a deer with my .44 mag using 240 grain jacketed soft points, dropped it like a ton of bricks.

Introduce a kid to the outdoors.It's addictive.
NSCA Level II Instructor
Paragon School of Sporting Professional Associate
NRA, DU,
Pheasants Forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I've killed one deer with a revolver...a small doe at 25 yards using a Ruger Security Six and Remington-Peters 125gr factory ammo (357 Mag, jacketed flat points). Shot her through the tops of the shoulders and she fell on the spot without even a twitch.

I sort of figure the 225 cast bullets will just punch a hole, no expansion to be expected. Or not much, anyway.

The 210 JHP's will probably open up a bit.

Differing philosophies on bullets for hunting. A 41-caliber hole in the lungs will mean death for a deer, I have no doubt.

Blowing a bigger hole through them isn't a bad thing, though.

I'll see how the JHP's shoot. Maybe flip a coin Sunday night before the opener, lol.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:19 PM

TDD, aren't you the fellow I conversed with a while back about you snagging that 57 off of here?

I just got my M657 at Kerpers a few months back. (see my post about the new pony). Although I've purchased a box of the Nosler 210 grain JHP's, I haven't loaded them yet. I'll be out first day with a load of 21.8 grains of H110 under a 210 grain Hornady XTP. According to Hodgdon load data, 22 grains of H110 is max for that bullet.

I have not found any load data yet that is specifically for the Nosler bullet. I sat them side by side on my loading bench the other day and they look to be almost identical in size and the shank that would contact the barrel is the same. I can't imagine why the same powder guidelines wouldn't work, but I will look that up when the time comes.

Where are you going first day? Good luck!

Big LSWC's rule
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

I think that was me!

I consulted Nosler 7th Ed for that data, but I also have QuickLoad software, so I can get more specific. If you want, I'll send you the data it gives me...?

I have 24 brass prepped and I'll run some charge weights and see what looks good. I was thinking of hunting with the flintlock and carrying the 57 "just in case," but I also know that means I'll probably never use the 57, so I may just carry the revolver. My buck tag's gone, so I'm a meat hunter now anyway, except when I'm with my daughter. Then I'm just a pack mule, lol.

I'll be out on private land in 5C. I'm fortunate to have access to it. First day, I'll carry a rifle since I have doe tags, but it's mostly to back up my daughter as she's hunting.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 05:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nosler load data for 41 Magnum-

41 Remington Magnum Load Data - Nosler
Macs' Mountain likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 11:59 AM

my first revolver was a ruger redhawk that I like an idiot sold. last year I got a ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag. I used to load the 41 with hornady 210 gr. XTP's. powder was AA 9. shot fairly well but the 44 redhawk I have doesn't like it too well. switched to 2400 and both revolvers shoot better. cant remember how much powder I load in the 41. when I look it up ill get back to you.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim View Post
my first revolver was a ruger redhawk that I like an idiot sold. last year I got a ruger Blackhawk in 41 mag. I used to load the 41 with hornady 210 gr. XTP's. powder was AA 9. shot fairly well but the 44 redhawk I have doesn't like it too well. switched to 2400 and both revolvers shoot better. cant remember how much powder I load in the 41. when I look it up ill get back to you.
I love 2400 for my 44 spl and 44 mags, and I have a bunch of it. I should look up it's use in the 41, especially when I tool up the Dillon 550 RLB for 41 with cast bullets this winter. For some reason, probably because of all the Handloader articles I've read over the years, I favor 2400 for lead and H110 or AA#9 for jacketed when reloading my 44s for hunting loads. If you look at the body of reloading data out there for 44s, I think 2400 loads down better than H110 / AA#9.

A 41 mag Redhawk, I don't think I've ever seen one. I too would regret getting rid of that, but I'm thinking of getting rid of my 44 mag Redhawk. It never gets out anymore since I have my S&Ws.

Big LSWC's rule
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 01:35 AM

Your 225 hardcast will knock them over for a dirt nap. I too shoot a 44 mag, and use a 180gr Hornady XTP when I am in laurels or on the edge. Im good to 50, and that's where I limit my shooting distance. Good luck out there, a pistol kill is very rewarding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page