I took my shotgun apart - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I took my shotgun apart

So my savage 67 pump is mostly apart sitting on my work bench. So far it doesn't look like anything is really worn, just dirty. I do have a couple questions.

It's hard to pump only when you squeeze the trigger. Not the whole stroke, but you have to pull on it a couple times to get it moving. If you hit the release it slides right open. While looking at the trigger assembly the release botton controls the same arm as the trigger. The only thing I see that could be out of wack is the tiny spring arm between the two. Could it just be weak? If I bend it to give it tension would it make any difference?

Does anybody know how to get the forearm off? The metal caps at the ends of the wood don't seem to want to come off. Since I've gone this far, and have nothing to do this winter I thought I may just try to refinish it. Right now it looks like I drug it behind the truck. The bluing isn't too bad, but the stock and forearm could use some help. Doesn't help that it was painted camo a bunch of years ago and 98% removed.

It is the "F" model (67F) with the plain stock, and corncob style forearm. No vent rib with the safety on the trigger assembly. I just pointed it out as there are about a dozen different versions.

I really want to get this gun back in action.

Need to add: It's a 20 gauge.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Re: I took my shotgun apart

Not trying to crack wise, but why don't you take it to a gunsmith or at least talk to one rather than looking for internet advice, or call Savage customer service.
http://www.savagearms.com/customerservice/

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
The Man

+1 to what John S said. I wouldn't get in there and start bending any springs as that can lead to trigger group malfunctions and maybe other issues. Qualified gunsmith or Customer Service.

I had a 22-250 with issues so I took it to a gun shop who sent it back to Savage and got it repaired free of charge. You may want to do the same thing.

"Where the Law ends, tyranny begins."

John Adams
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Well, Savage customer service won't even talk to you if the gun was made prior to 1995. Mine was. Tried that.

As far as the trigger goes, it really isn't part of the trigger. It's mounted to the side of it. I understand bending a spring isn't the greatest of ideas. I know that. It will however have zero impact on how the trigger works. I thought maybe if I did that, and it worked better I would try to find a newer one. No point in throwing good money at bad. Sort of like buying parts for you car when you don't really know what's wrong with it.

Lastly, I would take it to a gunsmith if there was one around. There isn't. The only one I know of is in Danville, and he only does rifles. I took a revolver to him, and he didn't really want to deal with it.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The slide is interlocked to the trigger, specifically so you can't hold back the trigger and pump fire.
If you are pulling back on the slide while squeezing the trigger, it wil be tough.
with no pressure backward on the slide, is the trigger still tough to pull? with a slight pressure forward on the slide is it still difficult to pull the trigger?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The trigger is the same crappy, creepy trigger as it always was. I really thinking it is just dirty. Really dirty. I've had it since 1986 (used then), and never taken it apart to clean it.

I guess I will know in a few hours.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 11:38 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Racin41

Believe it or not i learnt how to takedown all my shotguns via youtube video's lol
there are a cpl gun smiths on there that do instructional vid's for ppl like us that like doing things ourselves and not harming the weapon by doing so

WHO ME ????
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Problem solved. Nothing but dirty. The slide release is loose fitted to the side of the trigger assembly, and held in place by the inside of the receiver. There was a pretty heavy film of grud that had built up over the years.

Now if somebody could tell me how to get the forearm off....

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hacksaw

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Banned

Exploded view diagram. It appears there is a threaded collar in front of the forearm that must be removed.

http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/savage67.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page