Roll Crimp vs. 6 Star Crimp - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Roll Crimp vs. 6 Star Crimp

Which do you guys prefer when you reload your 3" heavy shotgun shells?? How do you guys prefer to crimp your 3" shells?? What wads are you guys using?? Are you using a wad cover card?? Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 02:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Roll Crimp vs. 6 Star Crimp

what load? slugs? sabot or foster? Lyman or Barbel style?

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Shot shells. Turkey Loads. Tom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Since I'm re-using once-fired cases for my turkey loads, most hulls have a 6-pt. crimp so I simply re-crimp. Old Activ hulls have an 8-pt. crimp which I like as well, so I re-crimp accordingly. When I use buffering, I use these overshot "seals" from PR to help prevent the tiny buffering from migrating out of the hull.
http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/me...&Category_Code=

Depending on the hull and the weight of the shot charge, I use various wads for different loads. RP12's, Activ T-42's & WW "red" wads (name/number escapes me this early in the morning.) Some loads I will include a Mylar wrap inside the shot cup to tighten the pattern. It all depends on what I'm loading. I will load 2 3/4" shells w/ 1 5/8 oz. of shot, and 3" shells with up to 1 7/8 oz of shot.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

HOGGHEAD,
I mainly use star crimps on my Turkey loads and they are with new hulls. The wad type and brand depends on what type of shot( lead, steel, Hevi-shot, Tungsten, etc..) and also what type fits the hull the best. There is no sense using wads designed for tapered hulls in straight walled hulls or the other way around.
Give us an idea of what gauge, type of shot you plan on using, and what hulls you have on hand and we can get some better suggestions on what to use.

Our forefathers didn't bury their guns. They buried those that tried to take them.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Rolled crimped hulls will have a lower presuure than the folded crimps. Certaint loads with slow burning powders are better off with the star crimp.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It has been over 20 years since I reloaded 3" shotgun shells. I just order a few new manuals to get started back into reloading 3" shells.

I have not had to buy any heavy shells for about that same time period. I priced some new ammo, then I decided I was going to reload them instead of buying them.

As far as hulls are concerned. I have to go through what I have in the back room. However I will probably just order 100 new hulls. That should take care of all I will need for a long time.

I will be hunting mostly turkey, coyotes, and raccoons. I was thinking #4 for turkey and raccoons. I have not yet decided on shot size yet for coyote. But I am leaning toward buck shot.

Just getting started back into the 3" loading, so I need to relearn. Tom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page