Highpoint and comanchee pistols - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Highpoint and comanchee pistols

Wondering if anyone has any experience with these pistols? I had a Hipoint 9mm and 40cal once, but they really weren't accurate at all.. Is that common? I'm just looking for something cheap to carry while hunting and checking trail cameras. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 12:45 AM
The Man

Re: Highpoint and comanchee pistols

They're probably better than Kel-Tec, but that's not saying much. On the lower end of the price scale I'd go with Taurus. And if you're going to carry while hunting, I'd get a revolver. Better to have a sidearm that can legally be used to take game should the opportunity arise.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 12:52 AM
The Man

I'd put kel-tec far above high point, and probably even Taurus.
Marcus99 likes this.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:17 PM
clc
Part of the Community

I would personally save a few hundred more and get a police trade in.
Marcus99 likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Part of the Community

Never had a problem with Kel-tec would buy one before a Taurus
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 02:34 AM
The Man

Personal experience will vary. I've never met anyone whose Kel-Tec functioned consistently without a good deal of modification and fine-tuning. Every Taurus I've seen, on the other hand, functioned fine. I wouldn't say either one is built for longevity, so I wouldn't recommend one for someone who's going to shoot thousands of rounds in practice or even more so in competition, but if the priority is working out of the box and you don't plan on shooting it often, that would be my pick.

If you give me the choice between a stock Hi-Point or a well modified and fine tuned Kel-Tec, I'd probably pick the Kel-Tec. If they're both stock, I'd probably say Hi-Point just because of the few people I know who've owned them none reported malfunctions from new guns. That said, I've read plenty of reviews to the contrary, so I'm not tremendously confident that they're reliable off the shelf. More than that, though, they're clunky, less than ergonomic, have a troublesome safety and a 9 lb trigger.

This is all predicated on staying at the low end of the price range for a new gun, and choosing a semi-auto, though. None of these brands would be my choice if the price range is more flexible, and a well cared for used gun from a better manufacturer could also be a great choice.

Then there's always odd-ball finds. I picked up a Hungarian FEG PA-63 in the used gun section of Cabelas about 8 years ago, only cost me 150, and it's always worked great for me. I call it my hipster gun, because it's vintage and obscure. It can be a pain to find 9x18 ammo sometimes, though, and finding spare mags wasn't easy either.

But of course, if you go with a revolver the reliability issue all but disappears, and there's any number of affordable models new and used in a variety of calibers. If the plan is to carry primarily while hunting and related activities, and concealment isn't a major concern, I'd totally go with a wheel gun.

Go n-ithe an cat thú is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for your advice... right now I carry a 45acp 1911 while in the woods and such, i'm just thinking it might be cool to have a Super Comanche now. It's a cheap single shot, but it shoots both 45 long colt and also 410 shotgun.... could use it for squirrels while out and about....LOL
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 11:26 AM

I would also stick with a revolver for the reasons mentioned. Taurus isn't known for making quality semi-automatics, but their revolvers are decent. I take a ruger super black hawk .44 mag with me.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 01:26 PM

Had a Commanche single shot pistol in 22RF (10 inch barrel as I recall). New cost was only $89.00. It was plenty accurate for such a cheap piece. But the action felt like it always had grit in it. I polished up a few parts inside and got some of that grittiness out of it, but overall it served it's purpose well. I heard they made a 357 single shot and tried to get one, but never could.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I carry a C9 . Mine is dead on and never has let me down . I say to each their own . If yours can not be sited in . Get a hold of them and send it in .

MuzzleMike

Come and see me on YT !
http://www.youtube.com/user/MuzzleMike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page