Transporting handguns in vehicles? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Transporting handguns in vehicles?

I recently bought a 22 revolver for plinking and hunting. I do not have a LTCF. I intend on getting a sportsman's permit tomorrow. Anyway, my question is that if I am driving to the shooting range how does my revolver have to be stored in my vehicle? The gun store clerk told me that as long as it is unloaded I am safe. Also, I intend on keeping it in its case while driving but wonder if would that be considered concealing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Transporting handguns in vehicles?

If It were me I would just go to the sheriffs office and get my LTCF you can carry it in the car loaded and never have a problem
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

The firearm must be unloaded an visible and the ammo cant be within reach of anyone in the car. Example would be gun in the front of the car and ammo in the trunk.

Waterfowling success should never be measured by the weight of the strap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I can't get an LTCF due to my sealed juvenile record. I am allowed to buy and own guns still. The best I can do for now is a sportsman's permit.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Direct copy/paste from Title 18 6106:
Quote:
(4) Any persons engaged in target shooting with [rifle, pistol, or revolver] a firearm, if such persons are at or are going to or from their places of assembly or target practice and if, while going to or from their places of assembly or target practice, [the cartridges or shells are carried in a separate container and the rifle, pistol or revolver is unloaded] the firearm is not loaded.
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legi...v=0&chpt=61

6106 (b) (4)

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NepaGuy
I can't get an LTCF due to my sealed juvenile record. I am allowed to buy and own guns still. The best I can do for now is a sportsman's permit.
ARE YOU SURE ?

and what the clerk told you was wrong. that kind of info can get you in trouble fast.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr
Quote:
ARE YOU SURE ?

and what the clerk told you was wrong. that kind of info can get you in trouble fast.
Am I sure about what? I pass the background checks to buy guns no problem but getting an LTCF is different. Law enforcement can still access my juvenile records they just aren't visible to the general public.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 10:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr
Quote:
ARE YOU SURE ?

Am I sure about what? I pass the background checks to buy guns no problem but getting an LTCF is different. Law enforcement can still access my juvenile records they just aren't visible to the general public.
they run the same nics check as they do for guns I
was in and out in 20 minutes
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer0329
The firearm must be unloaded an visible and the ammo cant be within reach of anyone in the car. Example would be gun in the front of the car and ammo in the trunk.
There is no such requirement as the handgun must be visible or that anything must be out of reach of anyone in the vehicle.

Lacking a license to carry firearms, the firearm (handgun) must be transported "unloaded" to those places allowed by law, such as to the range.

“LOADED.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.

Steve
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I called the PSP and they said it just has to be unloaded and the ammo shouldn't be near the gun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page