Taurus Judge - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Taurus Judge

Can anyone tell me anything about the Taurus Judge, do you like them?, how do they shoot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Taurus Judge

I had a judge with a 6" barrell that i had purchased with the intent of using it for rrabbit hunting. I shot the gun and it felt great very little recoil smooth gun and felt good however the pattern stinks. I shot federal, winchester and remington .410 ammo and the farthest i felt comfortable shooting at a rabbit was about 6 yards. After that the pattern was so wide spread it was pointless. I even tried 6,7.5 and 8 shot. Nothing seemed to work. I dropped the gun as quick as possible

BRINGING GOOSE TO A FREEZER NEAR YOU.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:30 PM
The Man

my cousin just bought the "public defender" this week. i really like it, looks and function wise.

"god fearin, hard workin. combine driver"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Banned

They were not made for hunting, they were made as a self defense weapon. The new one with a shoulder stock won't be worth 2 cents as a hunting gun either, it is no more than a novelty.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:48 PM
Regular Visitor

I own one of the 4" models for defense. IT ISN'T MADE FOR HUNTING. You could use it for a defense against snakes with the 410 or bear with the 45. The reason the pattern is wide is that the rifled barrel spreads out the shot for close range performance. For what it was made for you can't beat it.

Just takin the gun for a walk.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntndakota
I own one of the 4" models for defense. IT ISN'T MADE FOR HUNTING. You could use it for a defense against snakes with the 410 or bear with the 45. The reason the pattern is wide is that the rifled barrel spreads out the shot for close range performance. For what it was made for you can't beat it.
I just recently where someone is making a special shotgun load for the judges rifled barrel. I believe they are actually using flattend shot, rather than round, having found it patterns fairly well out of a rifled barrel. Can't remember where I read it though.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Federal Premium has a Self defense load that has shot and cylindrical "plates" in it,perhaps thats what your thinking of,my dad carries his for rabbits when were hunting in the pines a lot of the time they come out at your feet...literally

Patience is Wisdom and Vice Versa
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by skookhunter17954
Federal Premium has a Self defense load that has shot and cylindrical "plates" in it,perhaps thats what your thinking of,my dad carries his for rabbits when were hunting in the pines a lot of the time they come out at your feet...literally
So he is using a .45 caliber handgun in PA where one is restricted to "shotguns", .22 rimfires or less, and guns upto ".23 caliber"(depending on overlapping season)?

If you have to track your game, then you aren't using a big enuff gun.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 PM

I'm not that fond of the Judge's. When they first came out I thought they would be pretty sweet but after shooting them on a couple of ocassions I became less impressed. The more I've shot them the more they seemed like a gimmick to sell a handgun.

WMU 3A
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Sage

And word that I've seen since the SHOT show started, is that ATF has pulled the plug on the new Judge in 28ga.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page