Slugs/Sabots for 12ga Mossberg 500 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Slugs/Sabots for 12ga Mossberg 500

To all shooting a Mossberg 500, what slugs/sabots shoot best for you? 2-3/4 or 3 inchers and how are your groups?

I'm shooting the cantilever rifled barrel and want to avoid dropping too much $ to try all the brands... not to mention a sore shoulder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 AM

Re: Slugs/Sabots for 12ga Mossberg 500

i'm shooting a 500 with a rifled barrel.. I wouldn't go w/ 3 inch slugs.. If a 2 3/4" isn't enough bullet for you then you must be going for elephants.. I'm shooting the Hornady SST slugs.. They shoot tight groups, and they shoot very flat.. at 50 yds they are about 3 inches high (i'm sighted in at 100).. They are pricey but for the groups they are able to shoot it's worth it.. Hornady advertises 2" groups at 100 yds which is pretty impressive for a bullet that size
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 AM
The Man

I shoot the 385 gr winchester supremes out of mine. I would stay away from 3" shells as they tend to shoot larger groups.

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mine liked the remington premier copper solids

Mathews DXT
HHA sight
Quick Tune 3000
Beaman 340
2 Blade Rage

TC venture .270 win.
Bushnell Elite 3200
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
K98

My younger brother uses the Remington Buckhammers in his and is very satisfied with the performance.

Be the person your dog thinks you are
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Sage

2-3/4" Lightfields in my M500 rifled barrel w/cantilevered scope mount. Generally group close to 2" @ 100 yards. Bought a mess of 'em some years ago, when they were on sale for $8 per box of 5.

Some folks' learnin' curves just look like circles...3A Camp/also hunt 4B
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Hastings.

On a side note for all you guys running the Mossberg vented barrel...

I spoke with the gentleman from Hastings ammo and he enlightened me to something I had not thought of. On sabots where the wad stays attached during flight, the vents might be the kiss of death for accuracy. Though I'm not displeased at all with the accuracy my slugger shows with hastings and lightfield slugs, he claims it will tighten up considerably if i cut the barrel just behind the vents and have it recrowned. In the interest of tinkering, i'm thinking about it. He says that the slug basically flies like an arrow with two fletchings. Thoughts?

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:42 PM

I used an Ithaca 37 with a rifled barel and scope for years in NY. Always had the best accuracy with BRI sabots 2 3/4" 385 grain slugs. Aside from the flinch factor of 3" mags, the 385 grain slugs all cut at 75 yards in 3 round groups.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:48 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd4wg
Hastings.

On a side note for all you guys running the Mossberg vented barrel...

I spoke with the gentleman from Hastings ammo and he enlightened me to something I had not thought of. On sabots where the wad stays attached during flight, the vents might be the kiss of death for accuracy. Though I'm not displeased at all with the accuracy my slugger shows with hastings and lightfield slugs, he claims it will tighten up considerably if i cut the barrel just behind the vents and have it recrowned. In the interest of tinkering, i'm thinking about it. He says that the slug basically flies like an arrow with two fletchings. Thoughts?
Interesting. I shoot winchester supremes out of my 500. Only thing I ever shot out of it. I tried them, they shot great, so I stayed with them.

On the other hand a friend of mine just got a 500 combo in 20 gauge. We burned up 7 boxes of different slugs. I must say that that gun is the most accurate slug gun I have ever seen. Even with the cheapo 2.5x scope that came with it. Just about ever slug shot with it made one ragged hole at 50 yards.....Except the Hastings and lightfields. Those got around 3-4 inches.

Venison - The other fast food

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in