Recall on JC Higgins bolt action shotguns - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2016, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Recall on JC Higgins bolt action shotguns

So I inherited a model 583.14 bolt action shotgun in 16 gauge. I was looking up info online and discovered there was a recall on them in 1998. It seems the basic consensus is that the recall was the result of a frivolous law suit. Supposedly the bolt stop screw came lose and when the guy worked to bolt to reload he pulled the bolt out and poked himself in the eye. If that was the case those guns are safe. Personally I think it was a bogus law suit. Those guns had been in use for decades before 1998 and no one had an issue with them. Anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:35 AM
The Man

Re: Recall on JC Higgins bolt action shotguns

I had seen that in a magazine. I inquired about it and the deal was you had to send them the bolt, and they would send you $50. No way was I going to destroy a perfectly functioning gun for $50. I have three of those type guns and never had one of the stop screws work loose

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 11:12 AM
The Man

Are you sayin that they don,t send you a replacement bolt?If that,s the case all you have for your $50 is a tomato stake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleben
I had seen that in a magazine. I inquired about it and the deal was you had to send them the bolt, and they would send you $50. No way was I going to destroy a perfectly functioning gun for $50. I have three of those type guns and never had one of the stop screws work loose
That's how I feel. My grandfather used his a lot for several decades. I guess the recall is why those guns aren't as common as they once were. When I was a kid there was a local gun store that had a rack full of them. I guess initially Sears was giving people $160 for the bolt which was more than the guns are even worth so people were buying them and sending in the bolts for the money. Even if the stop screw is completely out the bolt would still be locked in tight after reloading. I was gonna use mine as a turkey gun because it has a full choke.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:21 AM

it wasnt a stop screw it was a faulty bolt latch. supposedly when the gun is fired the bolt could fly backwards and strike the shooter in the face.

my late father in law had 2 jc higgens a 12 ga that we sold the bolt back for $120.00 and a 20 ga that wont feed the shells from the magazine.

i dont know if anyone ever got injured but i wasnt going to take the chance especially with such an old gun.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr
it wasnt a stop screw it was a faulty bolt latch. supposedly when the gun is fired the bolt could fly backwards and strike the shooter in the face.

my late father in law had 2 jc higgens a 12 ga that we sold the bolt back for $120.00 and a 20 ga that wont feed the shells from the magazine.

i dont know if anyone ever got injured but i wasnt going to take the chance especially with such an old gun.
That doesn't make sense to me. If the bolt is locked in and fired the bolt handle would have to get torn off in order for the bolt to fly back. Also why didn't this become a problem until 1998 after thousands of those guns had been in use for decades? Maybe is was just a fluke.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:43 AM
The Man

I might still have the article around, but regardless, it was the BOLT STOP SCREW that was the issue. Good ole boy:: Nope, no replacement bolt. That was their way of getting rid of the problem. As stated in an above post, it appeared to be an isolated issue, but at that time those guns could be had readily for around $100 on the used market, and they figured it was better for them to create $50 tomato stakes. From what I researched back then, few took them up on the offer, unless their gun was a junker. I bought my first one 56 years ago, and it's still going strong.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NepaGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunr

That doesn't make sense to me. If the bolt is locked in and fired the bolt handle would have to get torn off in order for the bolt to fly back. Also why didn't this become a problem until 1998 after thousands of those guns had been in use for decades? Maybe is was just a fluke.
doesnt make sense to me either. i still have the 20 ga. it doesnt feed shells from the magazine. i might take it to a gunsmith and see how much it will cost to fix it. the 20 ga were not in the recall.

nice guns. i also have my late father in laws 12 ga J.C. Higgens pump shotgun. the action was real stiff and wouldnt open all the way.

paid 70.00 to fix that one. works great

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 09:26 PM
The Man

Recall of a J C Higgins bolt action.. You should be lucky enough to even be able to pull the bolt back without it even be defective.. They had mfg make some pretty good guns.. I still have my 22 Clip repeater bolt.. I checked and Marlin made that for Sears... Still shoots outstanding after 55 years.. Paid $25.00 for it in 1961 when I was in the 7th grade..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:11 AM
The Man

I had heard of some of the "clip" guns having feeding problems. I don't have that issue as mine are all tube magazines and they don't seem to have that issues.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page