Smal CC gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Smal CC gun

So I've been thinking of getting a small gun to carry. I've had a couple of thoughts as to what to get, but just can't make up my mind.

I want it to fit in my pocket. Plain and simple. That is the biggest factor.

I handled a kel-tec 380 my step-sister had yesterday. I liked it. After doing some research kel-tec, Ruger and tauras all make similar guns.

I was originally thinking of a 38 special darringer. Probably a cobra. Mostly because I have a 38 revolver already. It's not a carry gun.

I would like a 9mm as I already have one, and have everything to shoot one. Most of the guns I see are bigger than a pocket gun. Why one MM makes a difference is beyond me, but that is my utmost criteria. It must fit in my pocket.

I like a revolver the most. I like simple, but most aren't pocket guns. I really liked the slimness of the kel-tec.

One thing that concerns me. Pocket lint. How much should I worry about it? It's one of the reasons I was leaning towards a darringer type gun. Few moving parts. Revolvers are just as reliable IMO, but just too bulky.

Any thoughts?

Venison - The other fast food
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Smal CC gun

my kel tec 3at rides in my front pocket , has for years.
I made a pocket holster for it out of an old eye glass case.
when the snow flies it gets put away until the snow goes away ... at which time I fire it some , clean and carry.
pocket lint has been a none issue for me.
been doing this since the 3at came to market
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
... I like a revolver the most. I like simple, but most aren't pocket guns. ... Any thoughts?
If you decide on a revolver, the S&W 442/642 (5 shot, 38 specials) will conceal easily in a pants pocket with a simple holster, and are not bulky at all. Cost new is around $425.

R.I.P. WCO Dave Grove ... You will never be forgotten.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 AM

Take a look at the Keltec PF9 or the P-11
almost as small as the P3AT and would give you your 9mm
I personally carry the 380 - fits anywhere with out any issues

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa-Plinker
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt/fish365
... I like a revolver the most. I like simple, but most aren't pocket guns. ... Any thoughts?
If you decide on a revolver, the S&W 442/642 (5 shot, 38 specials) will conceal easily in a pants pocket with a simple holster, and are not bulky at all. Cost new is around $425.
Ditto .. I have the .38+P 642 5 shot Airweight light and will fit in your pants pocket no problem and hardly noticeable. A good choice if you want to keep same ammo.

Well, sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, well, he eats you, so the Dude must abide!
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM

I have the .380 Ketl-Tec and a S&W 642 - the Kel-Tec goes along much more than the Smith. The Kel-Tec is just smaller and easier to conceal.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

north american arms makes a 5 shot 22mag pocket pistol that is nothing to shake a stick at. when my buddy showed it to me i thought "yeah right..that thing won't get the velocity necessary to make a difference" but to be BRUTALLY honest, the CCI MaxiMag+V's explode watermelons. They will completely penetrate a whole 12" watermelon from end to end and strike the plywoood behind it with authority.

in the end, there are 2 thoughts on a carry gun. In that brief instant a situation goes from elevated risk level to defcon 5, the perp isn't going to notice whether the hole in the end of the barrel is a quarter inch or a half inch. If it goes bang, and it has the ability to shut them down, then it's suitable. If it is easily concealable, but even MORE important it must be retrievable.

Here's a quick story about a pocket gun and how it did not help to have a gun.

I was working at McD on rt 65 on the closing shift in bellevue about 10 years ago or so. Fred, my night manager (short black man, very stocky, level headed ex marine) was confronted by a man in the parking lot who tried to come thru the drive thru window. Fred got the guy to calm down a bit and everyone went about their business. 20 mins later, Fred was walking the lot, doing the pre-close checklist and cleaning the lot. previous dude approaches fred and they get into it verbally. then dude gets ticked off, reaches into his pocket and says he's gonna shoot fred. the next instant, fred grabbed dudes hand (which is in his pocket fumbling for the pistol) and fred clamped the guys hand with his own, holding his wrist and the top of his jeans. the guy could not get his hand back out of his pocket, and fred OBLITERATED the guys face with his free hand. I've NEVER seen such fury but the guy had no chance. had he successfully pulled the gun from his pocket this would have ended differently. with one quick easy move, the pocket gun was removed from the equation. This one event shaped my thoughts on "pocket carry" weapons forever. I'd sooner carry a wallet holster than a front pocket carry,PERIOD. fumbling in your trousers for a pistol is not the way to meet your maker. use a holster, or maybe even a back pocket carry holster (i think they are called wallet holsters) and make sure you can get to your weapon faster than the guy can get to you. if you have any doubt at all if this can be done, get one of the kids toy guns, and let your buddy run at you as fast as he can while you try to retreive your weapon and put it in a firing position. It ain't easy man...not even close.

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:15 PM
K98

Try drawing a firearm from a pocket when you are seated.

Be the person your dog thinks you are
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:58 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Look at the Kahr PM-9.
It's a 9mm similar size to the kel-tec and most other .380 pocket pistols.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by K98
Try drawing a firearm from a pocket when you are seated.
+1

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page